British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
paul_c

Henry VIII groat

Hi all,

I bought for cheap the following coin in one of the coin fair in England recently (I think a good find as I bought it for cheap). I am french and on my usual (french) forum, we struggle to find more information than this: Henry VIII - groat. As a mintmark, is this a rose, a pansy, or...?

Weight: 2.25 grams

Diameter: 25mm

What is the mintmark / value you would estimate? Thanks for the answers: any would be very appreciated

(it did look very close from http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Groat+Henry+Viii+Canterbury&category=7&searchtype=1but with a different mintmark in this case)

Thanks

Paul

20170219_200355_2.jpg

20170219_200409_2.jpg

Edited by paul_c

Guest guest

Laker bust B, mm. rose. value about £60-80? Books at £110 for fine in the current Spink, but edge splits and surface marks don't help.

This is Laker bust D with PM Rose (Spink 2337E). The rose looks ambiguous on your coin, so I can see why you may have initially considered it a pansy, I would've done too. However I've found a die-match for your coin on a dealer site called Hammered Coins (picture below), which shows better detail, and confirms the PM as a definite rose. The website owner has marked this bust as Laker B (which is a typing error, but has entered the correct Spink reference in the description, identifying it as a Laker D).

Roses tend to present themselves much rounder than pansies, even on worn coins...I've also included an image of a pansy for your reference.

Value? I think £35ish.

Hammered Coins Same obverse Die.jpg

PM Pansy.jpg

Hi,

thank you both for your very good information! I will forward the answer back to the other website to also share the results of your search.

If you have any question regarding french coins, you might contact me or go directly on the wbsite: http://www.numismatique.com/

Thanks again

Paul

Do link us to the thread on your forum when you put it up! 

There are some collectors of French coins on here who'd be delighted with your link. :)

• Like 1

Oui  Vive la revolution:) 

I love the French coins around this period (just before and after).

• Like 1