British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi, I'm new on here. I was clearing out some of my grandfathers things and came across an 1862 half sovereign in a very good condition. I'm no coin collector and although aware this is a rare one I know no more. So firstly do any of you guys have a rough value and any info on this coin please.

Hi Dandy and welcome, please post a photo if you can, it will help greatly.

It won't let me upload the other side as it's too big despite my best efforts to shrink it

Hi Dandy, I think what you have there is a sovereign rather than a half sovereign. It has a higher bullion value but is not a very rare date. However, it looks as though their may be something going on with the R in VICTORIA, possibly an R struck over an inverted R. If this were the case it would be considered rare and its value would be significantly higher.

4 hours ago, Dandy said:

It won't let me upload the other side as it's too big despite my best efforts to shrink it

If both your pictures are a combined 501kb then you have to leave the thread and re-enter it, its a bug in the forum software thats been around far too long and should have really been rectified by now

I second the sovereign designation as I collect half sovs & was initially excited at your report. The obverse entirely different! Still, rather have that bit of gold then not!

1 hour ago, loose54 said:

Ol looks like ive been misinformed lol

Edited by Dandy

1 minute ago, Dandy said:

Thanks azda 

Its a full sovereign