British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SAXON KENT

Alfred the Great (871-899) Lunettes Penny

From the collection:

A rare and interesting Alfred the Great (871-899) Lunettes Penny.

Obv: "+AELBRED:REX

Rev: "MON EDELULF ETA

Canterbury mint, moneyer Ethelwulf. GP.1,VAR. 2B, Lunettes A REV.

Found in Danelaw '5 Boroughs'. Roxholme near Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 2016 (Recorded with Fitzwilliam Museum). Possibly a coin paid as 'tribute' to the Viking Great Army. Small amount of marginal flan damage but the portrait and title are intact and the coin is very stable with no further cracking.

A coin which I am currently looking to move on so if you are interested, don't be shy!

Cameron

Alfred Penny 1.jpg

Alfred Penny 2.jpg

Edited by SAXON KENT
  • Like 2

The following paper might be of interest to those wishing to study this coinage further, a very useful resource. 

http://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/2008_BNJ_78_4.pdf

Edited by SAXON KENT

Goodness, I so wish I had something to contribute here, but I don't know a single thing about this period, but so love reading posts about coins of this age.

There's an inverted triangle with its top edge covering the 20th C period of numismatics, and the bottom point being somewhere about where you are!

You've probably got less than 1% of this forum who can engage with your field, but I guess you knew that?

Still love reading about these coins, as I do all coins! ?

• Like 2

Anglo-Saxon coinage is indeed a fascinating period of study, and in my opinion a under-appreciated area of numismatics when compared to say Bronze Pennies. However even though few people on the forum do collect to this period I still enjoy sharing what would normally just be kept in my cabinet for 'my eyes only' as it were.

• Like 3