British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

One for the farthing boys

This is being described as 4 over 1, a bit of a dog but unlisted, your thoughts,

Screenshot 2017-02-16 08.01.45.png

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

Be interesting to see better images, but my instincts would be to say die flaw. The 4 should continue up to the same height as the 7, which would take up the space where the underlying 1 would be, which would just leave the serif to the left. Would definitely be interested in better photos though

1 minute ago, Colin G. said:

Be interesting to see better images, but my instincts would be to say die flaw. The 4 should continue up to the same height as the 7, which would take up the space where the underlying 1 would be, which would just leave the serif to the left. Would definitely be interested in better photos though

The leg of the 4 looks quite thick though at the bottom near the serif

True ...but that could just be a recut of the 4 itself. 

5 minutes ago, Colin G. said:

True ...but that could just be a recut of the 4 itself. 

True, but it would seem strange that it looks the same thickness as the 1 in the date. Maybe it's just how the picture is, but they look similar widths

It's such a horribly pitted and battered specimen that I'm not sure what I see is the original layout. Is the weakness of the vertical part of the 4 due to corrosion or not?

Given the mintage quoted in Coin Yearbook is over 3 million, clearly at least two or three dozen dies were used and given the short life of dies in this year, possibly more. That leaves lots of scope for different die identifiers to be noted. The one I have in my trays is a high 47 for example - easily seen due to a flaw through the hair to the cheekbone level with the eye. A quick visual check online showed the three varieties listed by Colin, plus the same dies as mine in LCA 151. Baldwins 70 had one that appears to be a wide 7 and another example had a weak diagonal to the 4.

I think a repaired existing die is the more likely cause if a 1 was used. If so, a worn/broken punch would be ideal for partially punching in a digit.

Ok, another for the farthing boys, maybe, maybe not. Inverted Vs for As in GRATIA?

URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/azda68/media/Screenshot%202017-02-16%2019.49.28.png.html]Screenshot%202017-02-16%2019.49.28.png[/URL]

Edited by azda

This occurs across several dates, I prefer the description unbarred A's because on a vast majority hints of cross bars can be seen. I will not classify them unless there is indisputable evidence that the bar is not just weak.

• Like 1