British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

7 minutes ago, azda said:

^_^

Screenshot 2017-02-16 11.02.59.png

Brilliant! Did make me chuckle.

35 minutes ago, Rob said:

That looks like a cataloguing copy and paste error from the following lot. i.e. 1709 is the egg laid by the lot 1710 chicken

I do love the description of 1710

"fine, dark tone, on a slightly irregular flan!"

I was nearly sea sick just looking at those waves. Borderline melt pot for me, surprised it got anywhere near being catalogued as a single lot! ?

15 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I was nearly sea sick just looking at those waves. Borderline melt pot for me, surprised it got anywhere near being catalogued as a single lot! ?

Where can you view photos of coins in the catalogue without photos ? - There are a few coins I am interested in that don't have pics.

1 minute ago, The Coinery said:

Where can you view photos of coins in the catalogue without photos ? - There are a few coins I am interested in that don't have pics.

In person in London. They might email you a picture if you ask nicely.

Just now, Nordle11 said:

In person in London. They might email you a picture if you ask nicely.

Thanks Mat.

I will be able to view on the morning before the auction.

There are about 30 lots I would like.

One benefit is I can pay on the day and submit to them for slabbing what I want slabbing without having to worry about posting them.

45 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Maybe it couldn't be bulked. If a vendor has submitted a single coin, you can't bulk it with someone else's property. At that point it comes down to the minimum value you will accept for a single lot. Even if it doesn't sell, the auctioneer would get their fee.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Maybe it couldn't be bulked. If a vendor has submitted a single coin, you can't bulk it with someone else's property. At that point it comes down to the minimum value you will accept for a single lot. Even if it doesn't sell, the auctioneer would get their fee.

Yes, that's true! I'm guessing they must have some other better coins in the sale too!

Also @The Coinery a lot of the bulk lots are generally not photographed, Guy, you've just got to get along there, unfortunately (or should I say fortunately)! :)

7 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Do they still sell via 'the saleroom'?

Anyone attending live?

Never have had live bidding. You have to attend.

Jury is out as to whether I go. I could always spend money on something, but need to keep my powder dry for Stewartby pt.5, not to mention any other sales that are yet to be announced

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Jury is out as to whether I go. I could always spend money on something, but need to keep my powder dry for Stewartby pt.5, not to mention any other sales that are yet to be announced

I have some powder to burn. The issue is having the right coins to spend it on. There are a couple of lots at LCA which are of some interest but they are not 'must haves'. DNW, on the other hand, has more that is of interest for me this time around. The problem with LCA is that I have become somewhat wary of their photos and descriptions and not really willing to drop big dollops of powder there.

I did have a look at the Stewartby catalogue but need to have a closer look. Also interested to see what the other Spink auction the day after has.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Thanks, Rob,

I got thrown by this Red Herring...

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/london-coins

Let me know if you plan to go! :)

Anyone else planning to attend?

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Which is a great pity, and why I much prefer, for example, DNW, who do have live bidding via an audio link with the actual live auction. The auctioneer accepting bids from off the internet and in the room.

There seem to be far more internet bids than room bids.  

13 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Which is a great pity, and why I much prefer, for example, DNW, who do have live bidding via an audio link with the actual live auction. The auctioneer accepting bids from off the internet and in the room.

There seem to be far more internet bids than room bids.  

Seeing your profile picture @1949threepence reminds me that, IF I had the money,  I'd be buying the two aUnc '46 and '49 brass 3ds that are on sale. As it is, I will settle for my 3rd desire, which will be quite a bit cheaper I hope? :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Seeing your profile picture @1949threepence reminds me that, IF I had the money,  I'd be buying the two aUnc '46 and '49 brass 3ds that are on sale. As it is, I will settle for my 3rd desire, which will be quite a bit cheaper I hope? :)

I am glad you are not bidding as I have my fingers crossed for the Brass 3D's

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Coinery said:

I am glad you are not bidding as I have my fingers crossed for the Brass 3D's

Not sure what I will go for yet - I'll only be able to afford one, amongst a range of options, and obviously may lose out on that.

One thing I did notice is this Freeman 79, which is not vastly different in quality to the one you sold me for £250, Guy. But just look at the difference in amount expected.   

At least they have decided to correct some of their errors now. 

35 minutes ago, Sword said:

At least they have decided to correct some of their errors now. 

They still haven't spotted the error that's the hammered fake groat, lot 1709! ?

Might be you should e-mail them and see how they respond. Another illustration of the reduced standard of LCA descriptions. No mention of that cut on the head.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Might be you should e-mail them and see how they respond. Another illustration of the reduced standard of LCA descriptions. No mention of that cut on the head.

Yes, I know, I should let them know, really! 

The cut is a casting flaw that's present on all of them to a greater or lesser degree.

IMG_3144.JPG

Edited by Coinery

On 2/15/2017 at 9:53 PM, 1949threepence said:

Schoolboy howler of an error

Can't believe they can be this careless.

Well, they've sort of put this one right, but still left one half of the erroneous image underneath.

Well done for telling them and I am pleased that they have integrity and removed the lot. Surely you didn't really expect a "thank you" from them?

My confidence in LCA have been shaken by the way they closed CGS and by the reduced quality of their auction descriptions. At least they are like the last banana in the fruit bowl; not all bad.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sword said:

Well done for telling them and I am pleased that they have integrity and removed the lot. Surely you didn't really expect a "thank you" from them?

My confidence in LCA have been shaken by the way they closed CGS and by the reduced quality of their auction descriptions. At least they are like the last banana in the fruit bowl; not all bad.

Although they shouldn't be that self important that they can't courteously acknowledge someone else's time and input. 

I can't be the only one to notice that customer service standards have declined quite significantly over the last 10 or so years, to a point where some organisations now get quite defensive and hostile when shortcomings are drawn to their attention (not saying LCA do)