British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Possible Fake ?

I saw this 1874 halfcrown listed on Ebay and it did not look "quite right" to me.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1874-HALFCROWN-VICTORIA-BRITISH-SILVER-COIN-EF-/252759585892?hash=item3ad9a53464:g:i8UAAOSwUKxYmfUj for the following reasons. Firstly on the obverse the lettering seems to be double stamped

on the ORIA  DEI portion of the lettering. While on the obverse the non angle portion of the harp  seems strange with a double line through the center of it while the backward S shape seems raised rather than incused. In general the faces of the lions in the shields seem to be a trifle large for the bodies. Perhaps I'm seeing things!

However any other comments are invited. Photos of my coin of this date are included to compare the listing with.

Obverse EF.jpg

Reverse EF.jpg

Not certain. The overall darkness suggest it is dipped/highly polished. There are no obvious signs of casting. There are a few nicks and a small flaw off the top of the G. I think I would want it in hand to make a decision.

Neither am I but somehow it just doesn't look right.

What is unusual is that it has been lit from the bottom when photographed, this can make a substantial difference in appearance and will no doubt be responsible for the confusion over incuse or raised effects, and probably the size of the lion's heads. 

• Like 1

As per above, but I have seen a number of these and agree again with Rob in that it looks to have been cleaned in some way and then retained which gives the apparent surface of the coin a somewhat artificial look. As always, the caveat "seen best in hand" of course applies. I would avoid such just because better are available, if they can be afforded.