British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

das1979p

First Time Grading

I have a coin that I would like to have graded, but before I do, I'm after some advice. I have never graded a coin and I don't want to get it wrong.

The coin is a 1898 South African Pond. To my eye it looks to be in fairly good condition, but it has a nick on the top edge. Will it be rejected? What sort of grade might it achieve? 

NGC or PCGS? From their websites, neither is particularly cheap.  Do discounts come up at coin fairs? Trying to decipher the small print, I reckon NGC is in the order of $50. Should I wait until I find something better? I assume that CGS is not a good option, because it is not British.

Sorry about the photos, it looks like the top is in focus, but not the bottom.

20170207_202606_resized_1.jpg20170207_202537_resized.jpg

Many thanks,

David

Just based on your photos, the Obverse appear to be pretty heavily scratched. That would likely get it a 'details' grading form either NGC or PCGS and which would detrimentally affect its value (unless it is a very rare coin). As such, I would not recommend submitting it for grading.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I would not recommend submitting it for grading.

I agree

The other problem is that you need to be a PCGS or NGC member before you could submit it, unless of course you handed it over to some 3rd party who would submit it for you but would obviously ask for a bigger fee for their time, as above, i wouldn't bother either

better than fine but the scratches let it down

Certainly not one to bother getting graded, enjoy it for what it is.