British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

1773 halfpenny

The bottom coin is an evasion, but is the top coin within tolerance?

DSCN4997_horz_vert_opt.jpgNo image posted

Edited by bagerap
image vanished

It's a few grains short which could be metal loss from corrosion, but the style is good. I can't make out if the shield rim is double lined, but assuming it is I would say it's ok. The lettering is even, the numerals are ok and the drapery agrees. There's nothing that screams counterfeit.

Thanks Rob. I thought it might be my balance but I checked it with a sovereign weight and it's true. I ran about 30 1770s 1/2d through the test and most came out at around 8.3 gr.

Guest MartinD738

I have inherited a 1748 coin that shows George III on the obverse. The quality is quite poor, and I thought it was a possible fake but the obverse shown in the 27mm photo above is extremely similar. It doesn't seem feasible that test strikes would be made 12 years before his reign.

Guest MartinD738
1 minute ago, Guest MartinD738 said:

I have inherited a 1748 coin that shows George III on the obverse. The quality is quite poor, and I thought it was a possible fake but the obverse shown in the 27mm photo above is extremely similar. It doesn't seem feasible that test strikes would be made 12 years before his reign.

Any suggestions?

Probably a contemporary forgery, but without a picture we will never know