British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayser100

£2.00 St Paul's with mint error

Hi Chaps,

I am new to coin collecting. I have a circulated but excellent-condition St Paul's £2.00 that has the mint error where half the dots round the Queen's head are missing. I notice some dealers are selling these on eBay for £200.00 or even more but I know some sellers on that site take the you-know-what out of buyers.

I wondered if you could tell me how rare this coin really is, and what it might be worth. I want to keep it in my collection but it's good to know.

Incidentally, I didn't buy it, I got it in change.

Thanks in advance for your help

Without a picture it is difficult to say, but if missing the dots due to die fill, this is a normal progression through use and would be worth £2. If the die was blocked with grease giving a significant amout of missing legend and general weakness, add a quid or two for the error collector interest. If you desperately want to go on a voyage of delusion, call it £200. ;)

Welcome to the forum Jayser.

As you mentioned, people on eBay like to take the piss, unfortunately your coin's worth £2, the error doesn't do much to the value here.

Find something slightly wrong with a coin and put it on ebay for £200

One man and his dog have been doing this for years havn't they ?- Every so often some poor (or soon to be poor) sucker falls for it .