British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

youngsie21

URGENT help required. 1902 crown fake!??!

hi all,

Purchased a 1902 Crown Tonight on a private coin selling group on facebook. 

Seller was selling loads of coins which he claimed to of bought from a freind who does house clearances. Amongst the lotts where a 1845 crown and a 1902 crown

i won the 1902 crown. after a huge bidding war with other memembers. From the poor photos he provided everything looked okay untill i asked for a few more photos.

upon receiveing the photos alarm bells rang. 

Please check out the date on this coin. 

the 1 is a roman 1 and the 0 looks strange,

keeping it under 500k i can only upload one photo.

1902 crown.png

Not just the 'Roman' I but the other date numbers also look ill-formed, what do other members think?

Yep, that's a wrong'un.

Yet again, the rhetorical question. Why do people insist on buying something they are unsure about? Answer - the desire to pay less than market price for a good one.

eBay has a shedload of 1902 crowns at any one time with better pictures. Better still, buy from a reputable dealer.

People need to stop being greedy. If in doubt, leave it out.

The weight is bang on at 28.3 And the high points on the horses head made me beleive this was real.

but after checking out the books and the date there's no recorord of a roman 1 1902 crown. 

I've messaged seller and asked for a full refund before he posts the coin out.

thanks For the help all.

What a pile of junk.....I don't hold out much hope for the other either, or money back to be honest. Is there selling protection on this group?

Full refund Received seller was apolgetic and sent me my money back straight away. He actually turned out to be legitimate with his story. i am as surprised as others. the 1845 crown looks fine he also sold a 1707 half crown queen anee which sold for £56 and a 1697 half crown along with a few others. Gutted about the 1902 i paid only £78  Turned out to be too good to be true.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, youngsie21 said:

Gutted about the 1902 i paid only £78  Turned out to be too good to be true.

What a surprise. Presumably Chinese? And given the ease of acquisition, is the story legitimate? You would be amazed at the number of 1933 pennies passed down by grandad, unbeknown to the Royal Mint. ;)

On 2/7/2017 at 2:22 AM, youngsie21 said:

Full refund Received seller was apolgetic and sent me my money back straight away. He actually turned out to be legitimate with his story. i am as surprised as others. the 1845 crown looks fine he also sold a 1707 half crown queen anee which sold for £56 and a 1697 half crown along with a few others. Gutted about the 1902 i paid only £78  Turned out to be too good to be true.

At least your seller turned out to be honest, and you got your money back.

Old maxim: if it looks too good to be true, it very probably is. 

This seller continues to sell of his " house clearance collection " William & Mary,  queen anne half crowns the lot all going stupidly cheap £60 a piece. looked real to me dealers snapped them up straight away. Maybe i was just unlucky. a 1845 crown was purchased and turned out to be real too maybe the seller genuinely did not know the 1902 was a fake. still it put me off buying from him.