British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
secret santa

Interesting Ebay scam

Around 2 weeks ago I "bought" a Squirrel Nutkin 50p on Ebay for a friend. The vendor was a "nicholsonmelanie" with plenty of feedback history (although I never checked it) and was offering the coins at £2.50 and open to offers. I offered £1.50 and accepted the counter offer of £2.00. To cut a long story short, the coin never arrived, the vendor removed all trace of themselves from Ebay, never replied to emails and I received a refund from Paypal. Now, he/she only made £2.00 on this transaction but I wonder how many people were fleeced like this. I guess some people will put it down to experience and not apply for refunds but this person will probably be back under a different name to make some more money from unsuspecting people. £2 from a lot of people adds up over time and is likely to entice more buyers than an expensive rarity.

How do you do that....I mean set a up a legitimate Ebay account  and a linked Paypal account then it all disappears completely ?

As an aside, this afternoon I tried to get SKY to take off "Movies" from my package as it were....I suspect its much easier to buy 

industrial grade Plutonium on the street....and would get asked fewer questions I'm sure.      

Is it not this seller?

Seems strange to do that, and checking their feedback they don't actually sell much. Sounds like something went wrong somewhere.

Just checked that link, Matt and it has my photo as a follower !!!!! Something very strange happening.

3 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Just checked that link, Matt and it has my photo as a follower !!!!! Something very strange happening.

The plot thickens!! It seems like something has gone awry during the sale/messaging/refund process.

I'd be happy to send them an email to see if they respond, just let me know.

I've just removed myself as a follower but would be interested to hear what their view of my Ebay case is.

Ebay ties itself in knots from time to time. Somebody bought an item from Spain, but it then blocked another from Sweden saying it required a permit international sales to proceed. No consistency. It's probably their continual tinkering that produces unexpected consequences.

Edited by Rob

I even sent emails outside Ebay with delivery receipt set but didn't get acknowledgement back. Most peculiar.

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Is it not this seller?

Seems strange to do that, and checking their feedback they don't actually sell much. Sounds like something went wrong somewhere.

I wonder if there has been some sort of crossed wire type misunderstanding. The seller has been a member since 2006, and two of the last three positive feedbacks in the last month, were for squirrel nutkin 50p's.   

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Just because you buy one isolated item from someone, shouldn't by default make you a "follower". That's ridiculous.  

This is daft and not a crime or a scam.

Someone sells SIX suirrel 50p things and some christmas pudding covers and members of the forum kick off.

Hardly crime of the century total of £12 and worth £3 and some feedback from others was ok.

How do you know the seller is not on holiday or the coin is not lost in the post.

Richard was the follower so had clicked himself ............then removed it also.

I hope for the sellers sake the coin turns up and gets an apology as they getting greif on here and i dont think thats fair.

I am being as HONEST about this as i can and dont like anyone getting a slating as always two sides to every story.

Just because the seller has not replied does not mean they are guilty but could be ill,hospital,holiday.

All over a coin for £2..................:wacko:

The £2 the buyer got back so all ends on a happy note :)

Pete

You don't know all the facts and you may be right but - I did not click to follow the seller, I did receive notification that it had been despatched with a tracking number that Ebay now tells me doesn't exist, I did send emails that weren't acknowledged, I have received a refund on that basis, attempts to click on the vendor were met with a message that the vendor does not exist (at the weekend) - but now they have reappeared. Something is very strange. Maybe my computer has been hacked ? I have now contacted the seller again to ask their side of the story and if things are cleared up to my satisfaction, I will apologise to the vendor and get the thread taken down. Satisfied ????????

Its not for me to be satisfied more think its  OTT .

Yes i dont know all the facts ......that was the point i was making.

I am sure your freind will not be to upset about a squirell nutkin 50p .

You have got your money back ,maybe move on as its all part of the ebay experience :)

Having just looked again the postage was free and for an item worth £2 dont understand why they would send recorded.

Edited by PWA 1967

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Pete

You don't know all the facts and you may be right but - I did not click to follow the seller, I did receive notification that it had been despatched with a tracking number that Ebay now tells me doesn't exist, I did send emails that weren't acknowledged, I have received a refund on that basis, attempts to click on the vendor were met with a message that the vendor does not exist (at the weekend) - but now they have reappeared. Something is very strange. Maybe my computer has been hacked ? I have now contacted the seller again to ask their side of the story and if things are cleared up to my satisfaction, I will apologise to the vendor and get the thread taken down. Satisfied ????????

Have you tried the tracking number on Royal Mail track & trace Richard?

Although I must admit, it would seem slight overkill to send such a low value item by that method - which in itself would actually cost more than the coin. 

Do you have the opportunity to leave feedback on the vendor's e bay page? This should appear as soon as the item is marked as despatched. You could perhaps see if they finally answer you this time, but if they still don't respond, leave a neutral saying you never received the item. I appreciate this facility may have disappeared, given you've now had a refund from e bay.    

Edited by 1949threepence

This incident gets more and more bewildering. My Ebay purchase history shows no sign of the purchase but Paypal history shows that payment was made, and has now been refunded. I received notification from Ebay that it had been despatched. All my attempts to contact the seller through Ebay and direct email to ask for their side of the story have brought absolutely no response which is surprising. If I search Ebay for "nicholsonmelanie" it finds no results and yet Nordle found a link that works !  When I click on his link and go to the seller's history I find the transaction that I won ! As Rob says above, it's probably a bug in Ebay but I would love to hear the seller's side of the story.

I'll probably never find out what happened.

52 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This incident gets more and more bewildering. My Ebay purchase history shows no sign of the purchase but Paypal history shows that payment was made, and has now been refunded. I received notification from Ebay that it had been despatched. All my attempts to contact the seller through Ebay and direct email to ask for their side of the story have brought absolutely no response which is surprising. If I search Ebay for "nicholsonmelanie" it finds no results and yet Nordle found a link that works !  When I click on his link and go to the seller's history I find the transaction that I won ! As Rob says above, it's probably a bug in Ebay but I would love to hear the seller's side of the story.

52 minutes ago, secret santa said:

This incident gets more and more bewildering. My Ebay purchase history shows no sign of the purchase but Paypal history shows that payment was made, and has now been refunded. I received notification from Ebay that it had been despatced. All my attempts to contact the seller through Ebay and direct email to ask for their side of the story have brought absolutely no response which is surprising. If I search Ebay for "nicholsonmelanie" it finds no results and yet Nordle found a link that works !  When I click on his link and go to the seller's history I find the transaction that I won ! As Rob says above, it's probably a bug in Ebay but I would love to ear the seller's side of the story.

I'm not brilliant with computers, but I have found that Ebay remove the purchase history of a transaction if it has been taken to resolution , and that all the purchase history is removed after 60 days. What I tend to do if I see something interesting ,is to right click on the sale item , and then save it in favorites , and this still seems to work for up to 6 months.   Terry

Edited by terrysoldpennies