British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
headsortails

2016 royal sheild of arms coin

i can see there is current scramble for these coins on ebay as the last round pound coin advertised by the royal mint is in effect not the last,these coins are being sold for £34 plus p&p on ebay.

from what i can see the coin is being taken from the baby sets which are currently available from the royal mint for £30,i don't think they will be available for long.

2016.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

UK16MFC_01_white.jpg

the pound coins are selling for £35 pounds plus,the sets cost £30,also leaving behind the £2 Britannia coins and the shield 50p which are fetching upwards of £5.

Are the Baby Sets BU or circulation quality?

The reason I ask is the Mint were advertising that 2016 £1 coins in circulation quality were only available from the Royal Mint visitor centre tour when you were able to strike your own.

That said I doubt many would be able to tell the difference between the two.

Ian..    

The visitor centre coin is the old round type, different heraldic beast design but similar to the last coin released

S6001192.jpg

S6001193.jpg

I had a chat with the guy on the press, I asked about the set up, dies and pressure used, his reply was that it was a press used for general coinage relocated specifically for the visits, only one set of dies had been made, the striking pressure was reduced down from that normally used to prolong the life of the die and thought they would strike around 100k in total.

Has anyone else been on the Tour, are there any other designs of £1 coin or other denominations that have been struck by Visitors there

22 hours ago, Chingford said:

Has anyone else been on the Tour, are there any other designs of £1 coin or other denominations that have been struck by Visitors there

As it happens, I've been on the Tour today!  Thoroughly enjoyed it, plenty to see.  I'll post a separate thread with photos a bit later.  
I struck one of the new £1 coins (well, pressed the button to start the striking...).   

Unfortunately no photos taken, I thought there would be restrictions so didn't take a camera and my old mobile wasn't up to the task, good to start a new thread, it is a very interesting tour finishing with a walk through a (small) museum at the end.

Is it still the same £1 coin or are they different now, my images three posts up

The obverse on your coin looks like its stuck slightly off centre,it must have been the way you pressed the button.

Could be, I spent the night before in Cardiff Town Centre

On 2/7/2017 at 7:44 PM, Chingford said:

The visitor centre coin is the old round type, different heraldic beast design but similar to the last coin released

S6001192.jpg

Of course it is a different design, sorry for asking a stupid question. :wacko: