British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MODELCOINCOLLECTOR

Royal mint trial coins

Hello

I like collecting unusual coin , and now I like to  collect royal mint trial die I have acquired about 10 now , but I find them elusive or ridiculously priced . I would be grateful for any information , or even if there our any for sale

A K Barter , = Tony

Good luck on that. Some are rather crazily priced as you point out. There are also the earlier "MODEL" coins whereon the obverse or reverse is struck with the opposite side blank save the MODEL designation.

I believe Joanna Tinsley sale had quite a few. There are a number of trials issued in the 1960s as decimal coins were being anticipated, and then a number since then. There are also the MONETA types with Britannia sitting at a bench striking coins by hand...

No real reference book dedicated to such that I am a ware.

Thank you for your reply, yes I have found Joanna Tinsley sale , and downloaded all information some useful information and price guides. I have swept the internet for as much pictures and information as I can.

Tony

Edited by MODELCOINCOLLECTOR

Hello, forgive the late reply but I've only just joined. If your interested I can add some pictures of some Victorian model coins, not just the penny and half penny by Moore. Just let me know

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

Hello, forgive the late reply but I've only just joined. If your interested I can add some pictures of some Victorian model coins, not just the penny and half penny by Moore. Just let me know

Will

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'd like to see what you have even if no one else does. :)

• Like 1

I have this 1957 halfpenny trial die.

57 Trial A.jpg

57 Trial B.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, mrbadexample said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'd like to see what you have even if no one else does. :)

I'm having some trouble with the file sizes of my pictures, what's the best way to take and upload them please

Hi Will,

Ensure they're less than 500kb.

Trial dies are an integral part of numismatic history and as such collectable in the same way as regular circulating coins, proofs or patterns. There is ample evidence of pre-adopted coins in various stages of design going back at least a couple hundred years. I like 'em.

• Like 1

Hi Rob, 

Do you know who (and where) produced the Montagu farthing and halfpenny size medalets of 1689? You may remember I have half a dozen or so of these and, although I know they are not patterns as sometimes described, it is interesting to note the William III bust on some looks to be the same die as was used for circulating coinage.

No I don't, but the shortlist of names is not very long. James Roettier is the obvious choice, but George Bowers was also on the scene until he died on 1st March 1689/90.

The reason for their production probably falls into one of two camps - either to promote the accession of William & Mary as the protestant succession, or to commemorate the death of Mary. The latter would exclude Bowers. I can't add anything to the musings of Montagu and Peck.

There are examples in the RM museum which would suggest an official product and point to Roettier, but no dies remain to confirm them as official from what I can deduce from Hocking.

The key would be to find a medal using the same punches and definitely attributed to a specific engraver.

That's great. Thank you. I would think those which feature both William and Mary would then most likely date 1689. I can see the argument for those which show either W or M alone being coined to commemorate Mary's death or the beginning of William's reign, but it seems odd that none of the reverse designs/inscriptions hint at this. And why, I wonder, so many different reverse designs? Someone was busy! I'm not 100% certain, but the William bust on some of the farthings looks as though it may be the same punch used  for the official low denomination silver. 

Roettier must definitely be in the frame. An extracurricular pocket money enterprise?

Edited by Michael-Roo

My personal preference is for an early date. I think it likely that a good number of portraits were produced before they settled on a particular design, which again would favour some time close to the accession.

I don't think it would be extracurricular because the mint has examples which you would think means the punches were in house at some point. The number struck is considerable, so it is unlikely production for himself would be an option. He was sacked for making dies for others, but to actually get coins struck as well is a completely different level.

4 hours ago, will1976 said:

I'm having some trouble with the file sizes of my pictures, what's the best way to take and upload them please

I just use Paint to resize mine. Should be ok once they're less than 500kb as Michael-Roo says. :)

Here's the first one, not the best of pictures but I'll have a play around with the others and see if I can do better! 

new 2.jpg

new.jpg

A new model crown plain edge 26mm diameter, brass centre silvered metal outer

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, mrbadexample said:

I just use Paint to resize mine. Should be ok once they're less than 500kb as Michael-Roo says. :)

finally happy with the resizing!

95a.jpg

95b.jpg

• Like 1

97a.jpg

97b.jpg

There's a very similar design on a modern Eastern Caribbean coin as the obverse of the 'two shilling' but I can't recall the denomination at the moment

I notice an 1844 Model penny has been listed on ebay that i suppose could be really a mule as only dated on one side with the lines going horizontal rather than vertical on the reverse.

I believe unrecorded and possibly unique ?.

Sorry i cant put the link up but price is £1350.00.

Just seen this thread so seemed as good a place as any to post :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Guest desslok

Hi, I'm a newcomer to these boards.  I recently purchased the coin in the attached picture.

The obverse is in the shape of a Sierra Leone coin, with the added inscription Royal Mint Trial
The reverse is in the shape of an Uruguay coin, with the added acronym I.M.I.K.N.B, which apparently stands for Imperial Chemical Industries, Kings Norton Birmingham.

What do you think of it?

19990016_10155517455894704_380183845550716068_n.jpg

19990016_10155517455894704_380183845550716068_n.jpg