British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mattcoopes

20 pence Bailiwick of Jersey 2014

Hello all, I recently came across a 2014 20p with a lighthouse on it and the text Bailiwick of Jersey. A friend queried if it was a rare one and having looked online I am finding mixed information. There are some on eBay for £100s of pounds. I'm wondering if it is worth hanging on to or selling. Or worth no more than its face value. Thanks for any help in advance. 

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome,

Nothing special unfortunately. Don't pay much attention to the prices on eBay they're always 1p to a million and everything in between. If you run across anything like this in the future and want to double check, search on eBay but take a look at the completed listings and it'll give you a much better idea of value.

All the best

• Like 1

Guest hi nordle

got the same coin but the date on it is 1998 is it just worth the face value or a bit more thanks

Hi Guest.

Nordle is outside doing the garden but shouted me to check the prices on ebay.

Having a look you can buy them for £2 including postage.

Hope that helps.

Guest Jamesistheman
On 1/31/2017 at 1:29 PM, Nordle11 said:

Hi Matt and welcome,

Nothing special unfortunately. Don't pay much attention to the prices on eBay they're always 1p to a million and everything in between. If you run across anything like this in the future and want to double check, search on eBay but take a look at the completed listings and it'll give you a much better idea of value.

All the best

I've got a 2012 bailiwick of jersey 20p coin with a lighthouse n there's a lot going for £50+ on ebay. Is that a true price for it?

58 minutes ago, Guest Jamesistheman said:

I've got a 2012 bailiwick of jersey 20p coin with a lighthouse n there's a lot going for £50+ on ebay. Is that a true price for it?

Most people put them in parking meters ;)

1 hour ago, mick1271 said:

why the hell would Jersey need 6 million 20p,s .LOL

For export???

• Like 1

Obviously because 4.5 million people in the UK believe they are worth far more than 20p and need to collect them.....?

• Like 1

All the 20p coins if exported via ebay at £50 a pop would fetch £300,000,000 and please ebay with its final value fees and also leave the residents of jersey with full bank accounts (an average of £3000 a piece for every person on the island )

3 hours ago, copper123 said:

All the 20p coins if exported via ebay at £50 a pop would fetch £300,000,000 and please ebay with its final value fees and also leave the residents of jersey with full bank accounts (an average of £3000 a piece for every person on the island )

sorry £30 000 there are 100 000 residents

You was right first time.

Doh

Guest You should sell it.

Hi, I recently had one and sold it on ebay for £50.00. It was Definitely worth it!

14 hours ago, Guest You should sell it. said:

Hi, I recently had one and sold it on ebay for £50.00. It was Definitely worth it!

Just proves the old addage "A fool and his money are soon parted "

Enjoy the odd stroke of luck but don't expect to have such luck regularly. I recall hearing a Chinese phrase when I was a child which translates to “To guard a tree-stump waiting for rabbits”

The story goes: one day a farmer was working in the fields and he saw a rabbit carelessly bumping into a tree stump and breaking its neck. The farmer took the rabbit indoors and cooked it. Later on that night he was thinking to himself “wow, I don’t need to farm anymore. All I need to do is to wait for a rabbit to run and kill itself each day by the stump” 

Guest The dark coo

I also have the same 20p coin as these on ebay but my one isn't dated like the rest listed. I know minting errors spike the value greatly but could anyone tell me if this is an error? Where the date should be on the coin its just missing

We really need pictures to give a practical comment.

Guest The dark coo

Yeah ofcourse, heres photos of it. 

image.png

image.png

That's normal (except for the red dots!)

Edited by Rob

Guest The dark coo

why does some of theese coins have the date printed after the word "second" and this one doesnt at all? 

How do you tell the date this coin was made if theres no year printed?

Because yours is an earlier coin, it is marked 1982 on the rocks below the lighthouse, you'll also notice it has a younger version of the Queens head on it compared to more recent versions.

Because designs aren't set in stone in perpetuity. The 1982 coins have the date on the rocks below the lighthouse. This was a single year issue.