British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1851 halfpenny N/N R/R both large over small

1851 Half Penny Anyone know if this variety has been found before. I think the N's Have been struck over smaller N's but you only see the right upright ? The R is pretty much straight forward to see smaller R higher up above the large R. Thanks in advance:)

1851obv-tile.jpg

WIN_20170128_09_50_02_Pro-tile.jpg

I think the Ns are inconclusive because there is no sign of the left hand foot. The underlying R is about 10% smaller in height than the other, so assuming the same font was used I would think there ought to be some trace of the underlying N other than the upright. Maybe someone has some close-ups of the appropriate farthing characters to see if the same punches are used?

I'm not aware of this variety having been recorded elsewhere.

Although the pictures are not as conclusive as the blown up pictures of your own........

CGS have a variety described as ........1851-03 second R in brittaniar over thinner higher R.

I would assume that it must be the same variety.

Well spotted and a good find ,both the N just appear recut,although i dont look at half pennies and may be wrong :)

Again it must be worth comparing / overlaying with a different R.

Is it possible to access their list of varieties, or do you have to be a member?

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Is it possible to access their list of varieties, or do you have to be a member?

Rob there is not a list as such ,so yes you need to be able to access the site.

That's one way of ensuring varieties don't become popular then..........

In my opinion both are standard letters, they appear thinner because of the metal displacement when recut, it is very common to see this with underlying letters. I don't see how you are determining that the N's are smaller in size?

The 1851 "no dots" halfpenny (P-1534) is much rarer than the 1851 "with dots" variety (P-1535). Since this major difference in die variety is not mentioned in the foregoing discussion, I assume that the recut letters referred to apply to the "with dots" die variety.

For the "no dots" variety, all specimens that I've ever seen are dated 1 over 1.

For the "with dots" variety, one has to bear in mind that re-punched letters or numerals are are common occurrences for all Victorian copper halfpennies.

• Like 1