British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Adele

1944 george vi penny struck in wrong metal ?

can anyone help me with any info on a couple of the coins my grandfarther left us. one is a 1944 george vi penny .i no they were made in copper ,but this one is silver in colour. struck in the wrong metal my grandfarther led us to believe.also a 1871 wide date penny with other flaws in the metal above and around the date both coins are lovely 

Yes I have several photos but the file size is too large for this forum but feel free to Email me personally at (email removed) where I will be able to send you said photos.

Thanks.

If I were you I would edit the post and remove your email address.

Then save the pictures as a jpeg and resize them if necessary. Photos from a camera usually start out at 1 or 2Mb, but opening with paint and trimming off the excess irrrelevant content, then saving as a jpeg will probably reduce it to a few hundred kb which you can attach. The limit is 500kb.

It has most likely been plated. A silver or nickel plated example might show signs of underlying bronze. A cupro-nickel flan intended for a different issue would be of similar weight to a bronze penny unless of markedly different thickness. The only off-metal strike that would be easy to ascertain would be a normal thickness penny struck in tin. This should be just over 7 grams against the normal 9g+ of a standard bronze penny. What's the weight to a couple decimal places preferably?

4 hours ago, Adele said:

can anyone help me with any info on a couple of the coins my grandfarther left us. one is a 1944 george vi penny .i no they were made in copper ,but this one is silver in colour. struck in the wrong metal my grandfarther led us to believe.also a 1871 wide date penny with other flaws in the metal above and around the date both coins are lovely 

The pennies struck accidentally in nickel are attracted to a magnet. how about yours ? 

It does look as the lower obverse field has been (test?) scratched. I broke through plating by scratching the edge of one. 

I do have a number of OMS pennies and they tend to have similar weights as Rob says, but get a weight in any case. Some have. Even hard gouged that damaged genuine coins ! Uggh!

Host blanks have occasionally been halfcrowns and vice-versa. Plated coins if done thinly can be deceiving but there is a certain flatness to the fields as on this coin as I think I see from the photos.

Anyway, hard to tell from just the picture unfortunately. Likely best seen in hand by a reputable dealer - good luck!

Edited by VickySilver

I think you might want to use the "ring" test. Put the coin on your forefinger and tap gently on the edge with another coin. Bronze, cupro-nickel, sterling silver, 50% silver all give very different rings when taped. A bronze coin gives a long clear ring. A cupro-nickel coin gives a dull short ring. You can compare the rings of your two 1944 pennies. Since the coin is not in the highest grades, I don't think any harm can be done by this test.