British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Bernie

Something not right about this ebay penny

Yes of course it is not real but it is on ebay finishing in 20 mins and the bidding is only £2.10. The same seller and probably the same coin that sold for £398. It makes a suitable space filler.

Three more fake bun pennies here  and in seller's other listings, though these are all listed as forgeries

1 minute ago, davidrj said:

Three more fake bun pennies here  and in seller's other listings, though these are all listed as forgeries

It seems everything he is selling are counterfeits, however he has noted that fact in all the titles.

Take a look at this 1853 shilling on eBay, item ID 162379968708 and

compare it to another  aliexpress at $1.81 .....

Thanks for the link whitedb and welcome to the forum.

I looked on the site the other day but could not find the pennies.

Pete.

On 01/02/2017 at 11:33 PM, whitedb said:

Take a look at this 1853 shilling on eBay, item ID 162379968708 and

compare it to another  aliexpress at $1.81 .....

This is mad. Faking a circulated coin, can only be done maliciously to sell to beginner collectors for a low price, who wouldn't even entertain the idea that somebady faked that.

3 hours ago, Leo said:

This is mad. Faking a circulated coin, can only be done maliciously to sell to beginner collectors for a low price, who wouldn't even entertain the idea that somebady faked that.

It is not just beginners.  Whilst in your own area of expertise you can "see" something wrong but as a novice or new to that particular field you don't.  I wanted to make a collection of Silver Crowns, with one example of each type and was looking to buy a wreath crown.  I have to say that I start to fear that a large majority on eBay are fakes. I have been looking at the magnet test to check for silver but they even do 90% silver versions.  It is really putting me off buying.

3 minutes ago, whitedb said:

It is not just beginners.  Whilst in your own area of expertise you can "see" something wrong but as a novice or new to that particular field you don't.  I wanted to make a collection of Silver Crowns, with one example of each type and was looking to buy a wreath crown.  I have to say that I start to fear that a large majority on eBay are fakes. I have been looking at the magnet test to check for silver but they even do 90% silver versions.  It is really putting me off buying.

I can understand that as i would be put off also.

One slabbing company has looked at SIXTY of them so obviously a problem.

26 minutes ago, whitedb said:

Hence the value of provenance

Edited by Rob

37 minutes ago, whitedb said:

Hence the reason you should buy from reputable sources and dealers, those also exist on ebay and outside of ebay, there are even a few on here that may help you buy what you require, you only need ask.......

• Like 1