British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Magpike

Basic advice on silver coin handling and storage please

Hi

New to serious coin collecting and a recent purchase requires some advice please.

1) A proof silver crown has been handled without gloves by the person I purchased from. Is there any way to sanitise the coin where skin oils may have been deposited?

2) I think I really need  to buy cotton gloves to handle this sort of coin - is there a preferred supplier or will any pure cotton gloves without medicinal additives, etc be OK for this job?

3) Would like to access my coins regularly but assume that the usual plastic wallets with a piece of paper enclosed detailing the coin are not appropriate for storage? I like the look of the lighthouse coins capsules but would appreciate your recommendations.   

Handling is less of a problem with silver than it is with copper due to the reactivity of the latter, but mirror-like proof fields will show fingerprints whatever the metal.

If you have dry skin it is less of a problem, and in any case you should be handling the coin around the edges only. Cotton gloves may or may not be ok depending on how easily you adapt to them.

As for capsules, a few people on here use various types. If you search coin capsules it should give you a few threads where these are discussed.

• Like 1

Clean with pure acetone by a simple immersion or by dabbing (NOT RUBBING) with cotton buds. Even a wash with mild dish detergent and then a liberal wash with a tamp down courtesy of a high nap white cotton towel is a good move for stabilizing the surface.

23 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Clean with pure acetone by a simple immersion or by dabbing (NOT RUBBING) with cotton buds. Even a wash with mild dish detergent and then a liberal wash with a tamp down courtesy of a high nap white cotton towel is a good move for stabilizing the surface.

With regards specifically to the matt proof crown I would want to be as gentle as possible without taking any risk. As pointed out the coin has been handled without gloves. 

Would acetone be too much in the circumstances? Do you think I could get away with gently rubbing the coin with a spectacle cloth for example.

Even water can have a PH value that could initiate corrosion.

Sorry for the questions - just want to do the best by this fantastic coin.  

Although the coin was badly handled can you see any marks ?.

If not then wouldnt worry about it for now and just put away :)

1 hour ago, Magpike said:

With regards specifically to the matt proof crown I would want to be as gentle as possible without taking any risk. As pointed out the coin has been handled without gloves. 

Would acetone be too much in the circumstances? Do you think I could get away with gently rubbing the coin with a spectacle cloth for example.

Even water can have a PH value that could initiate corrosion.

Sorry for the questions - just want to do the best by this fantastic coin.  

Personally, I won't risk rubbing with a spectacle cloth. The matt proof surface is kind of delicate. I have never tried acetone with coins but would consider dipping in acetone being a (much) safer option than water. Acetone evaporates easily and dissolves grease well. If I were ever to clean a coin, acetone would be my first choice. 

If the coin is a normal proof with mirrored surfaces, then you will not get away without damage after handling it like that. As it is a matt proof, then perhaps you might be lucky and finger prints marks won't  develop later on? I am certain the more experienced collectors will give their opinions.

In my limited experience I have used acetone very sparingly and very carefully, but never on proof coins - and I have never found that it removes fingerprints - they (fingerprints) are pretty much there to stay I think.

I just nowadays try to avoid them in the first place, although, like many, I have made mistakes in the past

PLEASE DO NOT RUB! 

Acetone will not remove oxidized fingerprints but will remove the grease and oils from skin/prints that have recently touched the surface. A quick exposure to acetone (I use Walmart over  here in the States) of 100% purity is mandatory - not nail polish.

You may see in other posts that people LEAVE coins in acetone; I do not suggest that, but rather use of the cotton bud or nap of the clean white cotton towel to tamp the surface of the coin. This method has never left any objectionable problems to even extremely valuable proofs like VIP Record proofs...

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated.

I think the superb condition of my new coin has caused me some concern. Not that it is worth a large amount of money, just that I am used to everything I buy being repaired, improved or at the very least preserved in condition whilst in my ownership. The lady I bought from is very unlikely to have fingers like mine that due to DIY projects, car maintenance, gardening etc are often coated in contaminants.

I will try to forget the handling for ebay photographs and make sure the coin is well cared for in the future        

I often think proof sets should come with instructions and not be sold to chavs

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

I often think proof sets should come with instructions and not be sold to chavs

How many chavs do you know who would have the slightest interest in, let alone own a proof set copper123?

• Like 3

Somebody must be buying those kew gardens ans undated 20p coins and the latest craze the edinburgh £1  coins , ok they prob aint chavs but they certainly aint coin collectors either.

21 hours ago, Magpike said:

Thank you all for your advice - much appreciated.

I think the superb condition of my new coin has caused me some concern. Not that it is worth a large amount of money, just that I am used to everything I buy being repaired, improved or at the very least preserved in condition whilst in my ownership. The lady I bought from is very unlikely to have fingers like mine that due to DIY projects, car maintenance, gardening etc are often coated in contaminants.

I will try to forget the handling for ebay photographs and make sure the coin is well cared for in the future        

I think this is quite a sensible thing to do. Leave the coin alone but keep a close eye on it. Then you only need to consider doing something if you see the faintest signs of marks developing. And you might never have a problem.

6 hours ago, copper123 said:

Somebody must be buying those kew gardens ans undated 20p coins and the latest craze the edinburgh £1  coins , ok they prob aint chavs but they certainly aint coin collectors either.

"Chavs" was an unfortunate choice of word. But I understand what you are saying. And sometimes decent coins just get passed on or inherited by people who know nothing about coins. I do feel rather sad that so many quality coins have been ruined by careless polishing. 

49 minutes ago, Sword said:

"Chavs" was an unfortunate choice of word. But I understand what you are saying. And sometimes decent coins just get passed on or inherited by people who know nothing about coins. I do feel rather sad that so many quality coins have been ruined by careless polishing. 

Many years ago, when I had a local dealer to go and chat to over the lunch break, I recall talking to him about cleaning coins and he told me about a seller who knew nothing about coins, but had brought in a very nice and expensive collection of early milled in good grades. The dealer agreed a price and the punter brought the coins back a day or so later to seal the deal. Unfortunately, in the meantime, the seller thought that the dealer would like the coins to look a bit better, so he cleaned them up with silver polish so they were 'nice and bright and shiney'. Much to his horror the dealer told him he didn't want them, but was prepared to offer 10% of the agreed price for them. Exit one very crestfallen seller. Moral - don't do anything to a coin unless you know what you are doing, and certainly not before selling them!

• Like 2