British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MARITHIAN

DOMITIAN SESTERTIUS

Guest MARITHIAN

IMP CAES DOMITAV GGERM COSXV CENSPERPT?

FID EXERCIT

Guest Ben

I also have a coin with this same inscription. Can anyone tell me how old it is?

I also have a coin with this same inscription. Can anyone tell me how old it is?

For want of an ancients expert to come along, the closest I could do was Wikipedia to give you a rough date.

I use this site a lot

http://romancoin.info/Roman_Coin.php?ancie...ibution_101.htm and this -

http://esty.ancients.info/ricix/#table1top

but they but they don't help with that inscription! :huh:

Edited by Geordie582

IMP CAES DOMITAV GGERM COSXV CENSPERPT?

FID EXERCIT

I'm not an expert but I like a challenge so I'll have a stab at it with the help of Rotographic's Roman Base Metal Coins Guide and the internet.

First of all it should be: DOMIT AVG GERM, so the first bit I think means: 'Imperial Caesar Domitian Victorious over the Germans. 15 times a consul. Perpetual censor'. Domitian became consul for the fifteenth time in 90 A.D., for the sixteenth time in 92 and was assassinated in 96. So it is likely that it was minted between 90 and 92, although apparently it was not unknown for coins not to be updated for such things; could therefore be as late as 96.

The reverse inscription seems to indicate 'the exercise of faith' which sounds a bit wishy washy for a Roman coin, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Hope that will do until a real expert comes along.

Of course we haven't seen the coin, so it could be a contemporary copy, which would account for the 'doubtful' inscription.

Guest eddy

i also have a coin with the same inscription and have had the coin myself for approx 50 years,did any one get any info on the coin if so would like to know what you found out.

many thanks eddy