British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bhx7

E-Z-est Coin Cleaner trial.

Thought I would try this stuff out to see if it actually works and what kind of results it can give. Obviously I wouldn't want to try it on any expensive coins so I used a couple of pennies I have quite a number of. The first was on a 1967 penny. The penny had a reasonable lustre although there were some evident fingerprints and some slight tarnishing starting. I used it as stated; 5 seconds followed by placing the coin under running water to stop the process and remove and remaining dip.  The appearance of the coin was improved but I also noted that it was a very slightly lighter colour than a comparable 1967 penny. Also that a number of small dark patches which had not been visible previously had now appeared. I did note that looking under a loop that these patches seemed to have showed up where slight verd patches had been, some not previously visible.

My next test was with a 1938 penny. Again it had reasonable underlaying lustre but was dulled and the surface not overly attractive, especially on the obverse. Thinking about the colour change of the 1967 penny I only dipped the 1938 for 3 sceonds. Again it made a slight improvement with the lustre and removed some of the dulling and parts of the slight fingerprints. However I did notice that it once again brought out marks not previously visible as well as highlighting defects, possible due to removing excess build up of grime, etc. (See the slight gash at the bottom of George's neck). There was still a slight colour change but not as apparent as the 1967.

I did remove a couple of minor fingerprint marks from some silver proofs which I had. It did these brilliantly without damage.

The photographs all show before then after.

1967 penny 5 sec dip experiment online.jpg

1938 penny 3 sec dip experiment online.jpg

Here is the reverse of the 1938

1938 penny  3 sec Dip experiment rev online.jpg

I dont know of this product, but it sounds very much like the Lindner dip that was popular when I was a kid (many years ago). They do change the coin, not just remove dirt, and this is due to chemical processes removing tarnish hence the lightening. Personally I feel that these dips go a bit further than simple cleaning and into the realm of "chemical enhancement", and I dont use them. A good dealer or Auction House would describe a dipped coin as such, and view it as detrimental.

Jerry

Think I agree. The silver proof coins I did to remove finger prints worked brilliantly and I think this is probably the only thing I would use this product for. Think it works better with silver products, bullion coinage, etc...