British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Cliff

Edw 1 (maybe 2?)

I have a hammered silver Penny acquired as an Edward 1 coin some years back.  On doing a bit of sorting recently, I see that it appears to have a bifoliate crown and, with it also being a London mint, my understanding is that makes it probably Edward 2???  However, if I'm understanding correctly, I think some of the later Edward 1s also had bifoliate crowns, with two leaves at each end, which replaced the earlier trifoliate coins with three leaves.  Apparently there were four types which were allocated between Class 10C to 10F.

Please can anyone either agree or put me right with my understanding (mostly gleaned from a Coincraft's 2000 Standard Catalogue of English and UK Coins.  Any help in correctly identifying the attached would also be much appreciated.

Edw 1 Obv 2.jpg

Edw 1 Rev 1.jpg

Crikey! - Tad naïve of me (?) regarding identification of my coin. Have now done a bit of reading up on these Edward I, II Pennies and hadn't realized just how many variants there are!  Reckon I need to reach for my reading specs, open a fresh bottle and see what I can make of them all. 

Notwithstanding the thin initial cross, I think it is an early 10cf5 on account of the crown with the damaged central fleur on the right hand side and the taller left hand ornament.

So timewise,  the start of Ed. II

Thanks for the informative prompt response Rob.

Probably "old hat" to most regular hammered Penny collectors but I've just found Rod Blunt's "Early Edwardian Pennies (1279-1344) http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/pages/edwardian-Pennies/Edwardian%20Pennies%20P1.htm44) article and am now trying to absorb some of the wealth of information (I'm at the very bottom of a steep learning curve).

10cf2 for me! ?

The ornaments stand much taller, and the right hand fleur is far less splayed on crown 5.

And 100% with you on Blunts article. Have you got Withers' book of Edward I and II pennies? That's worth every penny from Galata too!

Thank you both for the interest.  Have placed an order for "The Galata Guide, The Pennies of Edward I and II" you recommended.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cliff said:

Thank you both for the interest.  Have placed an order for "The Galata Guide, The Pennies of Edward I and II" you recommended.  Thanks again.

A fantastic book, you won't regret it!