British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

NHS Thank you.

Just a note to say thank you to them.

I was taken to a private hospital last Friday evening.

However after quick pain killing injections and scans they did not have a surgeon available for the problem and needed imediate treatment /surgery at 8.00 PM 

Immediately i was taken to a local NHS hospital by ambulance.

The NHS have there problems but they let me out last night and we dont realise what they do until we need them.

Thanks again.

Pete.

• Like 2

Good to hear - and hope you're OK.

• Like 1

The post was more to do with the fact that the news / papers are coverering negatives daily which are happening.

We watch / read it and carry on as dont think we will need them urgently.

Something not life threatening we dont need that day or maybe that month not a problem or issue.

It was the fact that one day you might need them urgently and they are there.

Stuntman quite a long way to go now.......But i am on here ;) 

Keep your pecker up, Pete.

I agree entirely with you about the NHS.  

Having spent time in a third world hostipal the NHS is up there amongst the greats. Anyone with a bad word of the NHS should try what the other half have to live with, or try and live, then see just how good the NHS is.

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Can I second that in spades!

on 20 September I fell at home, getting my leg tangled in furniture, leading to a fracture of the distal femur just above the knee.

I was in hospital until just before Xmas, and I am still non weight bearing, so sleeping downstairs and walking with a Zimmer

All the NHS staff were brilliant, and I mean all , not just doctors and nurses, also the physios, OTs, porters, cleaners etc. The main problem they were all working long shifts and there was gross understaffing. I saw staff in tears due to frustration they couldn't give the level of care they thought patients needed.

So I am still receiving treatment, I need to go back in shortly for a marrow treatment to encourage new bone growth.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for a rapid recovery Pete! Having worked in the NHS for over 30 years I know the pressures it faces, but for an emergency treatment it is still very capable and more responsive than most private alternatives. I do think the NHS has to revisit its roots and re-purpose and reform to some extent to survive in its primary role, that of keeping the seriously ill safe and resolving their threatening issues. I wish the politicians would keep out of it, and give the funding through a truly independant body of professionals and patient advocates.

Jerry

• Like 1

I think they generally do quite well, but the modus operandi of the NHS (or any other government funded body) doesn't lend itself to maximising efficiency. I was referred to the local hospital last week and saw the doctor an hour after my appointment time because they couldn't find my notes. For the full hour I was waiting there was a member of staff leaning against the wall outside the department doing absolutely nothing while the others were busy scurrying around. No idea what her job was but presumably it wasn't very taxing! She was still stood there when I left.

Having said that, A&E from experience tends to be pretty good at sorting out things when needed at that moment in time, and the follow up replacement collar bone operation for my son was sorted within a couple weeks.

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

However after quick pain killing injections and scans they did not have a surgeon available for the problem and needed imediate treatment /surgery at 8.00 PM 

The NHS have there problems but they let me out last night and we dont realise what they do until we need them.

Thanks again.

Pete.

Get well soon Pete, I think most of the NHS problems are just over exaggerated media hype .   Terry

• Like 1

Woke up this morning with a slightly swollen knee and painful calf. Thought to myself that I'd better check for a clot. Rang surgery for appointment. Receptionist found me one in just 10 minutes. Drove like a bat out of hell to the health centre. Waited 5 minutes to see the doc. Quick examination and told not to worry, it's just some fluid retention, take ibuprofen and a bit more exercise. Back home 10 minutes later, relieved and back to normal.

How could the service from the NHS be any better? And this kind of service is typical of what I see where I live. In my view too many people have a negative view of the NHS because the media hype up the slightest problem into a full blown crisis, when in reality the vast majority of patienst have a very positive experience from their doctor/health cntre..

• Like 1

Thought you'd been quiet Pete - hope you're on the mend now. :)

I've never had less than great service from the NHS.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks again.

Pete.

I hope you soon get over whatever the problem was, Pete.

7 hours ago, davidrj said:

Can I second that in spades!

on 20 September I fell at home, getting my leg tangled in furniture, leading to a fracture of the distal femur just above the knee.

I was in hospital until just before Xmas, and I am still non weight bearing, so sleeping downstairs and walking with a Zimmer

All the NHS staff were brilliant, and I mean all , not just doctors and nurses, also the physios, OTs, porters, cleaners etc. The main problem they were all working long shifts and there was gross understaffing. I saw staff in tears due to frustration they couldn't give the level of care they thought patients needed.

So I am still receiving treatment, I need to go back in shortly for a marrow treatment to encourage new bone growth.

I know from what you said on facebook that you've been through the mill with this injury, David. But as you and Pete quite rightly say, the NHS are absolutely brilliant. Their staff deal with crisis and underfunding on a daily basis.

I don't often agree with Jeremy Corbyn, but he is spot on when he says the NHS should get an immediate cash injection. Funnily enough, I've just done a You Gov poll, which asked whether I would have any problem with the basic rate of Income Tax increasing from 20p to 21p to help the NHS, and whilst I would normally rail against any form of tax increase, I couldn't help but agree with that one.

Although we could save quite a bit by imposing a 5 year moratorium on foreign aid.    

• Like 2

When my mother was ill over the last couple of years of her life, the NHS in Glasgow was outstanding. I have nothing but praise for them. So were Glasgow social services.

Having lived outside the UK for quite a long time, I do have experience of other health systems and specifically the Swiss and US systems. They all have their pros and cons and I don't plan to get into those here. But I don't think many Brits realise what great value the NHS represents compared to those other systems. The care you get is generally very good and you pay a lot less than either the Swiss or Americans for it.

One problem with the NHS is that it is politicised and a great opportunity for politicians to score point and get media attention. So far too much time is spent looking for problems to highlight and saying good things about the NHS will always deliver poorer publicity than saying bad things.

Best wishes to Dave and Pete for a rapid recovery.

• Like 2

I think the bad press they get is actually because of the politicians and by the politicians. So much money gets wasted by t***s who have no backgrounds in medicine and are simply there to control budgets and create jobs where those jobs and titles weren't required 20-30 years ago, the money these people are earning could be better spent on the NHS itself.

Anyway, hope all is well Pete......

• Like 2

Wishing a speedy recovery to you both, I think the frontline service when you get there is very good and is often superb in quality. It is my opinion that the administration side of things seems too cumbersome and as an indirect result affects the treatment of patients. I recently lost a close friend to a brain tumour, and some of the situations he encountered within the system were appalling, however it was more often that not a result of the administration behind the treatment. He found out he actually had cancer by receiving a referral letter to see an oncologist through the post prior to seeing the consultant for the results of his brain scan....mistakes like this just should not be allowed to happen in a modern system. 

In addition the care aspect of people who have to endure stays in hospital appears to be slipping, often due to reduced numbers, it is not the physical treatment that appears to be the issue, but the care aspect that is suffering.

I also find it interesting to note that you mentioned private care, and inevitably this seems to be a benefit being taken up by a lot more people including where offered through the corporate companies etc. This must remove some people out of the system for routine treatment but yet does not seem to be making any difference in terms of burden on the system. 

The politicising of this system is painful and an issue that needs to be resolved, but I do fear that that the alternative will inevitably just breed more bureaucracy into the system.

• Like 1

What a year.....well nearly:)

After nearly twelve months of being inside and hardly going out ,regular infusions ,tablets of which some weeks i was having twenty four a day ,cameras,biopsies and more blood taken out than i thought i had.

I have just got the all clear...............BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Now back to getting fighting fit again ;)

Thank you to the forum for helping to keep my sanity :)

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

After nearly twelve months of being inside and hardly going out ,regular infusions ,tablets of which some weeks i was having twenty four a day ,cameras,biopsies and more blood taken out than i thought i had.

It sounds like things are coming together for you Pete...Good Job! I wish you a speedy way back in fitness also! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Brilliant news Pete....just a query on your sanity.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just now, Peter said:
47 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

.BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

:D

1 hour ago, RLC35 said:

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

55 minutes ago, IanB said:

:D

Right Pete , ill book both of us down for the London Marathon Next year,  !!!!!!! :o    Terry 

• Like 1

:)

Excellent Pete, that is very good news, I hope you are soon up to full fitness. My poor old Dad (89) has to have a colostomy next week, so yours truly will be spending some time in Aberaeron looking after my memory impaired Mum (86). It’s going to be a stressful time, but hopefully I’ll still make the MCF on 10th for a break!

Jerry

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Brilliant news Pete....just a query on your sanity.:rolleyes:

Yes.....I think on that side i am probably passed any help :unsure:

Hope your dad recovers quickly from the op Jerry :)

Dont be joking Terry........We need to start training for it and just putting my trainers on , will be at your house in an hour ;)

Yes good timing Richard although i am still sore from the scarring its nice to know it will calm down and i am keen to move forward now.

Thanks all Pete :)

Edited by PWA 1967

On 11/28/2017 at 1:32 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Fantastic news Pete. Had no idea what you were going through.

Now you can move forward.

Nice one mate :)

• Like 1