British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Jack Smart

Short Cross Penny Identification (MIs-Strike)

I have this short cross penny which is in reasonable condition, but seems to have been hammered twice? It's really noticeable on the reverse, though the observe seems better. Anyway, I've been trying to decipher moneyer and mint for quite some time now and have not come to a solid conclusion. My best guess is it's Richard I? but I am really unsure. It seems to read SIHV on the top right of the reverse, but I can't attribute it to anything with the resources I have, though the closest could be the moneyer Simund. It also looks like it could say CANT at the bottom for Canterbury. This is as far as my current ability allows me to get, but I'm sure you guys will solve this in a breeze haha. I also have higher quality pictures if anyone wants a better look.

Anyway, thanks is much for taking a look, and any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers! :D

IMG_0596.JPG

Not the easiest with the double striking, but I would go for class VIIb, SIMVN ON CANT. Possibly a die duplicate of Mass 2008.