British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Now there's a turn up

I was just contacted by the President of the London Numismatic Society, who got one of my fliers through the British Numismatic Society, and wanted one of my books.

We got talking about varieties, and he was actually in the same room as C Wilson Peck when he wrote his bible! This man knows about varieties that were not included in the book because although Peck was sure, the examples were too worn and he felt they could not be included just in case!

Since then, he's published papers, and really knows some super advanced stuff.

He lives in Kent, not far from SE London actually, where I once lived, and he invited me along as his guest to the next London Numismatic society meeting (but I can't go, it's in early feb)

He said he'll get the book, and give me a call so we can talk about what should be added. He even knows about decimal varieties (and has a 1983 New pence 2p)

He said that there has never been a book that lists all the varieties for copper/bronze and silver and I said I'd like to be the first to publish a complete book if he's willing to help.

CCGB2008 will be double the size at this rate!

That is good news, there are quite a lot of varieties not listed in CCGB2005, so I think it will be more than tripple if we include most of them.

Decimal varieties sound interesting, I bet there are quite a few...

Good competition for Spink ay ;)...

Spink is not about varieties really JMD. Spink does an excellent job of covering over 2000 years of coinage. My book already contains far more varieties for the modern coins!

Just imagine, a properly comprehensive book on the British coins of the last 200+ years with up to date values. Nothing like it exists.

For those of you that don't follow things in here, here's a plug:

http://www.predecimal.com/books/ccgb2005framed.htm

:D

Good going Chris, CC certainly has potential for expansion. CC2008 should be good! :D

I was just contacted by the President of the London Numismatic Society, who got one of my fliers through the British Numismatic Society, and wanted one of my books.

We got talking about varieties, and he was actually in the same room as C Wilson Peck when he wrote his bible! This man knows about varieties that were not included in the book because although Peck was sure, the examples were too worn and he felt they could not be included just in case!

Since then, he's published papers, and really knows some super advanced stuff.

He lives in Kent, not far from SE London actually, where I once lived, and he invited me along as his guest to the next London Numismatic society meeting (but I can't go, it's in early feb)

He said he'll get the book, and give me a call so we can talk about what should be added. He even knows about decimal varieties (and has a 1983 New pence 2p)

He said that there has never been a book that lists all the varieties for copper/bronze and silver and I said I'd like to be the first to publish a complete book if he's willing to help.

CCGB2008 will be double the size at this rate!

This is definitely the way to go.

It's well known that Peck doesn't list all the known varieties. Taking pennies as an example:

Peck omitted one/some listed earlier by Bramah

Freeman identified several more

Michael Gouby listed more than Freeman (and is still finding more)

John Jerrams listed even more...

And new 'varieties' are still turning up.

It would be particularly useful/important to do a thorough update on the coppers. The bronze series have been catalogued much more frequently.

Fantastic and makes my heart leap...a definitive list...however the fact there are so many varieties

& UNKNOWNS make coins an enthralling study.

I've got my Peck,a copy of Freemans,a recently aquired Montagu & a good selection of Colin Cookes

catalogues and still I reckon I've got (possibly) unlisted varieties of farthings.

Peck indicated the nr of different dies (+5 etc) but a definitive list is required WITH photographs.

Each denomination could do with a separate volume though!!!!!!!

Great news Chris! CCGB2008's gonna be expensive... :P

Colin Cooke has shown me examples of coins wrongly listed by Peck because the latter had used as evidence examples too worn to reveal subtle diffrerences.

The President told me that Peck left some out that were too worn, even if he was sure they were what he thought they were!

Regardless of what was in, and what was out, there is no doublt that some little mistakes were made.

Who's doing the next one?

I'll nominate JMD.

Although it would surely be easier today than in Pecks time.....probably only

take 5 years instead of 10.

& what price the finished artical????? :blink:

Any news yet?

A new Peck book sounds interesting. I'm game :).

(Peck) Who's doing the next one?

I spoke to Colin Cooke a few years ago and he told me was working on the farthings edition of what was to be a 3-volume replacement for Peck. I don't what state it's in, but that's what he told me!

I spoke to Colin Cooke a few years ago and he told me was working on the farthings edition of what was to be a 3-volume replacement for Peck. I don't what state it's in, but that's what he told me!

Yes, his 'Farthing Encyclopaedia' I believe. According to one of the topics on his discussion board, he is putting a picture to every known type of farthing, and has so far taken up 150 pages on the types of Charles II!

Expect a hefty price tag...