British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Mindie777

Fake Crown or Not ?

Hi

Im a newbie !  

Just love coins and been really interesting reading about all the different things on here.   I treasure hunt (with persmission !!) and have always been interested in the history of coins.

Anyway, cut a long story short - Rob, our son, went to university and couldnt believe how expensive everything was so started dabbling in ebay.  I now go to auctions (great fun !) to buy small items to put on and sell to keep him in food !

It also love it - so win win.!!

This coin was in a collection of 3ds silver and alot of other collectibles.   Fabulous coin I must say, I wish I could find one of these out treasure hunting - what a thrill.  This is when i came across this site.   I was researching it and I went cold when I saw how many are forged !!   OMG I just did not realise.  

Im one of those "too honest for my own good" type of person (hubby is always saying) and there is no way I could sell this knowing it was a forgery.

The reason Im suspicious is that it only weighs 27 g.   Now I know its a kitchen scales, but still it should be 28.3 ! 

Can anyone just have a quick look at it and tell me whether its ok or not ?   I would be really grateful !!

Thanks

H

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender[443].jpg

66.jpg

At a quick glance i would say its genuine 1 .3 g is not a lot , its worn and wear can account for that and you bought it cheap  if you paid a lot it might be worth forging it , but not in this grade .

you could always get it tested for silver if its not its a forgery

thank you so much !

I have a testing kit - but after christmas everything is everywhere in the house lol !  

I can list it with confidence now.

Take care

H

I suggest a BIN with offers of about £100K on ebay and should expect to get close.

Edited by PWA 1967

38 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I suggest a BIN with offers of about £100K on ebay and should expect to get close.

To be fair I have seem many many George IV crowns much much worse than this - yours is lucky in that everything is clear on it at least - it also been polished which means it has little numismatic value , keep it as as you clearly like it - it was probably a "pocket piece" for many years.

Thanks again to the people who took time to answer kindly.

PWA - Ha ha 100K, -  & you can check out my "tripe" on Mindieshack Vintage on ebay to see if im an "honest type" or not - your  post may be edited on here, but it came through to me and upset me.

My son is Robert Davies studiying at Met University in Cardiff doing his Masters for Strength & Conditioning, his first year - he is an intern for Glamorgan Cricket Club and training the Welsh Netball under 21 in his spare time. None of which he is paid for.   He is worth the hassel of ebay and etsy and the numpties that I have to encounter while selling.  

H

2 hours ago, Mindie777 said:

Thanks again to the people who took time to answer kindly.

PWA - Ha ha 100K, -  & you can check out my "tripe" on Mindieshack Vintage on ebay to see if im an "honest type" or not - your  post may be edited on here, but it came through to me and upset me.

My son is Robert Davies studiying at Met University in Cardiff doing his Masters for Strength & Conditioning, his first year - he is an intern for Glamorgan Cricket Club and training the Welsh Netball under 21 in his spare time. None of which he is paid for.   He is worth the hassel of ebay and etsy and the numpties that I have to encounter while selling.  

H

Hi Mindle777, don't take anything personally, it's like an initiation test on here sometimes, we can get a little nippy, the tougher ones stay or those with longer term aspirations, we get ebay queries here all the time, you should check the "free for all" section for some of the ebay laughs at prices and grades.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, hopefully we can continue to help and you'll enjoy learning about the coins you're selling. P.s, i used to live in Roath in Cardiff

Hi Azda

Thank you for your reply.   I did reply this morning before the coffee and my run, so may have been a tad tetchie - or its my age - whatever ! lol

I will check them out !  Sounds interesting.

I do collect loads of coins, have the full 50p 's including kew, which ive checked and is the real one (i know of the fakes on that one ! lol)  / nearly all the olympic ones, have some old roman, a hammered  etc.,  so this forum was right up my street.

Found some beautiful coins, but mostly given to the farmer apart from the farmers that give them back, have hardly any at home, but have photographed them, so will be posting once my head is clear of christmas and New year.  Used to give them to the museum for identification etc., but since they still have some of mine which is now over 4 years - ive given up.   I think Edward Beasly (sp) is retiring or has retired, he was amazing at identifing coins.

Roath, not too far from us !!   thanks again for being supportive. 

take care

H

Hi Mindie

If they can't get ID'd here there is something seriously wrong.Amongst our mist are top dealers and published authors on coins (as well as nutters like me). Roman coins are maybe where we are weaker but I know an excellent US forum.

I think we all need a chill pill sometimes and less caffine...a good sprint to the local shop for a bottle of wine works wonders for me.