British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
georgie

Third and fourth type head on Victorian shillings

Trying to identify type head on this shilling, been looking and looking and still torn between 4th and 3rd head.

found a good web site to compare but stil cant make my mind up.

Would really appreciate some opinions :-)

IMG_3860.JPG

The date would help because 1880 onwards is definitely 4th and before 1878 definitely 3rd. The nose has a slightly pronounced bridge on the 4th head and the tip of the truncation is typically more rounded.

Normally, the easiest way is to look at the way the hair is rendered at the nape below the fillet, but that presumes some detail. The one on the right in the picture is 4th head, the middle 3rd.

img531.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have Bull or earlier ESC with me at work now, but there are some rare varieties in the 1879 shillings, but generally for coins of higher preservation that then show the differences more prominently as well as being more attractive to the collector.

Edited by VickySilver

5 hours ago, declanwmagee said:

Which website, Georgie?

Cant remember now, but showed four type heads, coins were mint condition but showed the differences. but as mycoin is worn quite badly its hard to tell.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

The date would help because 1880 onwards is definitely 4th and before 1878 definitely 3rd. The nose has a slightly pronounced bridge on the 4th head and the tip of the truncation is typically more rounded.

Normally, the easiest way is to look at the way the hair is rendered at the nape below the fillet, but that presumes some detail. The one on the right in the picture is 4th head, the middle 3rd.

img531.jpg

1979 no die number, and yeah your correct theres a rare one that has the 3rd head.

Edited by georgie
coorection

Thanks for these close ups, im really starting to lean towards 3rd head, the hair on the 4th head is very triangular below hair band, not so tringular on my coin, hair also seems to come down further on my coin and on 3rd head, frustratingly im not %100 convinced either.

will get a photo editor on and mark the band an ear out, see if i can emhance it at all.

Looks like 4th head to me.  3rd head shillings have T of GRATIA directly to bead, 4th head are to the right of bead.

• Like 1