British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

Kew gardens going up in value?

hi all, just a query about the fact that on eBay the prices for Kew garden 50p's seems to have increased massively. They were going for £40-£50 and are now going for up to £90! did something cause this? will the value continue to go up? in which case is now the time to buy one?

17 hours ago, elganmantonroseblade said:

hi all, just a query about the fact that on eBay the prices for Kew garden 50p's seems to have increased massively. They were going for £40-£50 and are now going for up to £90! did something cause this? will the value continue to go up? in which case is now the time to buy one?

Yes, stupid people buying them at artificially inflated prices. Have they sold at that price or for sale at that price because that is 2 different entities altogether.

A fool and his money are soon parted........

Currently the going rate (selling price) seems to be around £65-70. As for why, Azda's comment seems apposite.

23 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Currently the going rate (selling price) seems to be around £65-70. As for why, Azda's comment seems apposite.

Why the big price increase Dave as i wouldnt have a clue , i seem to remember them being listed in there hundreds for less ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Why the big price increase Dave as i wouldnt have a clue , i seem to remember them being listed in there hundreds for less ?.

Clearly, there are more people wanting one of these than there are examples cheaply available, and so the price is being driven up until the coin finds its level. i.e what people are prepared to pay. My guess is that people are also looking at this general increase and, like sheep, are sniffing out an 'investment' and so they are driving the price up further still. Probably they have the idea that values will continue to rise into the future, so they need to buy now before they are left behind.

Whatever the truth, it will likely all end in tears, except for those who are astute enough sell on a high.

Shades of the 1950/51 penny craze of the late 1960's?

There were 210,000 minted. In the 2014 Coin Yearbook, they were listed at £4.00 per UNC specimen. That had risen to £30 in the 2017 book. I imagine the rise in value is being caused to some extent by current demand exceeding supply. But there are a number on offer. Out of interest It might be worth keeping an eye on this one due to end tomorrow, and currently at about £30. Just to see where it ends up.  

• Like 1

They are overrated yes but so is the undated 20p

My tip is the edinburgh £1 coin next  for big publicity , new £1 coins come in this year and the old ones are demoniterised

• Like 1

I can certainly agree with that! the Edinburgh coin is going for £15-£20! chances are it will continue to increase in value when the new coin is actually introduced in march. (I think its march...)

On 1/5/2017 at 8:29 PM, 1949threepence said:

Shades of the 1950/51 penny craze of the late 1960's?

There were 210,000 minted. In the 2014 Coin Yearbook, they were listed at £4.00 per UNC specimen. That had risen to £30 in the 2017 book. I imagine the rise in value is being caused to some extent by current demand exceeding supply. But there are a number on offer. Out of interest It might be worth keeping an eye on this one due to end tomorrow, and currently at about £30. Just to see where it ends up.  

It went for £77.00 !!!

FFS    I bought a BU example for £3.50 back in the day.Excites me as much as Katie Price's plastic Tits...it will go on the bay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

FFS    I bought a BU example for £3.50 back in the day.Excites me as much as Katie Price's plastic Tits...it will go on the bay.

Stand firm! You're going soft. That's the thin end of the wedge. Get rid of your coins and with nothing to do there's a danger that KP will look attractive as a last resort. :huh:

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I'll give you £7 for it. The coin, not KP's plastic bits. :unsure:

No problem....send me a cheque to Peters china imports Ltd ...I have just the one for you.:rolleyes:

• Like 1