British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

glyn7000

£2 Britannia - 5th Portrait

hi all,

I have the above named coin. I have read that it is quite rare only 600 odd thousand produced.

it is in very good condition but I have noticed 2 things.

1. it has no dots on the bottom face so the centre can actually come out easy if pushed.

2. there is no TWO POUNDS printed on the bottom face either.

does this make the coin even more rare or is it worthless or even a fake?

can anyone please give some info or advice.  would be nice to know if its worth anything as I will keep it if it is.

thank you.

Hi and welcome!

Please can you post a picture? 9 times out of 10 things like this are fake, the TWO POUNDS wouldn't really be missing on a genuine one.

11 hours ago, glyn7000 said:

hi all,

I have the above named coin. I have read that it is quite rare only 600 odd thousand produced.

it is in very good condition but I have noticed 2 things.

1. it has no dots on the bottom face so the centre can actually come out easy if pushed.

2. there is no TWO POUNDS printed on the bottom face either.

does this make the coin even more rare or is it worthless or even a fake?

can anyone please give some info or advice.  would be nice to know if its worth anything as I will keep it if it is.

thank you.

Welcome to the forum,  google is your friend. I assume your coin looks exactly the same? A 600k mintage isn't that rare when you compare for instance the silver Mexican Libertabds 2oz which 2009 had the highest BU mintage of only 46,000

Screenshot 2017-01-04 10.03.02.png

Edited by azda

Oh I see, no 'two pounds' on the obverse. Thought he/she meant the whole coin.

Screenshot 2017-01-04 10.12.29.png

I wonder if some-one has been playing with this coin post mint. By the look of the marks to the left of Britannia's plume crest the 'Two Pounds' lettering has been ground off. And I would be surprised if the centre had been loose as it left the mint after striking, though I have heard of the centres rotating. I dont think it has any value above face, ie £2.

Jerry

Edited by jelida

38 minutes ago, glyn7000 said:

IMAG2540_1.jpg

Yeah, errrrr this ihas deifnatelty been played around with, nothing matches

Edited by azda

The trident does line up. It's the way it has been put back in as the centre is loose.

Also it's smooth where you day it's ground down.

I will try and take a better picture.

The centre being loose is the giveaway Glyn and  its been messed around with.

Put it back in straight and leave it alone........alternatively put it on ebay for £1,000.000.00

Should sell :) 

Also there is a raised dimple like Mark just above and left of the peak of the helmet.

This looks lime the same level and surface as the rest of picture. 

If it's fake then so be it. But it looks a lot different in picture. 

Does the royal mint or is there anywhere that can verify this to be fake or real.

I know you guys know more than me. But my pictures don't seem to do it justice.

10 minutes ago, glyn7000 said:

OK thanks everyone for your help. 

I will go try buy some sweets with it then.

Get me some crisps

Edited by azda

It is a forgery, see the 'check your change' site, they have been reported with missing 'two pounds' lettering. It also doesnt have the edge motto. It would be illegal to spend it, as Azda says. 

Jerry

4 hours ago, jelida said:

It is a forgery, see the 'check your change' site, they have been reported with missing 'two pounds' lettering. It also doesnt have the edge motto. It would be illegal to spend it, as Azda says. 

Jerry

It's a fake alright. Here is the article: http://www.checkyourchange.co.uk/fake-britannia-2-missing-two-pounds/ Jelida is referring to.

The fakers have got the wrong obverse with the Britannia reverse. It should have been a type 3 dated obverse instead of a type 2 undated obverse. Criminals can be so careless sometimes.

How's this for an ebay description? "Extremely rare undated Britannia £2 mule. This extraordinary pattern has no legend on reverse and milled edge"

It's a good job the new £1 coin is bi metallic to stop it being faked :ph34r:

• Like 2