British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

georgie

1850 shilling discovered in a tin from my youth

On 1/1/2017 at 10:32 PM, georgie said:

To be honest, the internet wasnt around then, so never got the chance to check if it was rare or not, and collecting them was never money, date or rareity motivated, i was a child and they were either gifts, finds or swaps at school. so although i knew the date at the time, the significants of it was wasted on me, i only probably only ever owned bout 30 coins max, even at the height of my intrest, i remember i did have a two pence piece (modern) with a blank back, thatsthe only one that sticks in my mind, and unfortunatly is not in the tin, i probably swapped it for a star wars figure...lol..

Go on............gifts ,finds or swaps...........................:o

3 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

yes defo a fake. I posted this on Ebays worse when I first saw them as I was gobsmacked how good they were. If we hadn't seen them all together in one sale I think he had 6 coins originally Many of those would of gone to unsuspecting buyers. At least we know now the characteristics of the fake coins. the thing that is of great concern the guy who posted about his 1850 shilling posted a year ago so how many are in collections?  I think some announcement by  an authority like the press is in order considering the value of this particular date?

If you hadn't posted I'd be blissfully unaware. :)

However, I fail to see the value in a statement from an authority like the press. The same press that tell us about the £3000 50ps "selling" on ebay? :rolleyes:

Just now, mrbadexample said:

If you hadn't posted I'd be blissfully unaware. :)

However, I fail to see the value in a statement from an authority like the press. The same press that tell us about the £3000 50ps "selling" on ebay? :rolleyes:

I just thought it could forewarn those who have collections with them in to check them. Who knows how many of these have been passed off as real? Hopefully none. But yeah I see your point whilst 1 guy made £7000 selling fake kew's and continues to sell I guess it's just wishful thinking sadly :(

On 1/5/2017 at 4:26 PM, georgie said:

yeah, thanks, will do,  sent an email with pictures of coin to London Coins a couple of days ago to see if they will accept it for auction in March, still waiting for reply.

It was never sold by London Coins and so I guess they probably thought it was a fake. 

8 minutes ago, Sword said:

It was never sold by London Coins and so I guess they probably thought it was a fake. 

I think the seller knew it was a fake ,going of the way he described it and rediscovered it :(

Maybe i am wrong but all looks towards him touting it on here and never posted since.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2

I think a lot of the 1 time or guest posters who come on here out of the blue asking for advice on a coins authenticity or value with an eBay link are the actual sellers trying to draw attention to their lots. This guy was probably trying to do a similar thing and possibly pass it off to somebody on here. I just hope nobody fell for it. 

• Like 3

I am not certain there is any foul play here. After all, she has not asked at any point if anyone is interested in buying and was trying to sell it in an auction house rather than Ebay. 

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I am not certain there is any foul play here. After all, she has not asked at any point if anyone is interested in buying and was trying to sell it in an auction house rather than Ebay. 

Who ever it was wasn't very good at spotting a fake. I've just glanced at they're previous posts. 3 coins they posted were fake. I really do not believe that coin was hoarded away in a tin. Perhaps they felt the old tin story would give it some false provenance but for what reason i don't know.