British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

georgie

1850 shilling discovered in a tin from my youth

Hi, i appologise in advance for just jumping in the forum, a brief backgound on my question is the least i can do, i used to be quite a keen coin collector in my childhood up to my early teens, i recently moved house and rediscovered a tin of coins (19 in total) ive had from day dot. looking through them re-ignited my intrest. there all British, some well worn pennies, a rocking horse crown, a worn 1879 shilling (which im still investigating) with no die number, and, i believe a great find a 1850 victorian shilling. i did a bit of research using the coins-of-the-uk website. Seems to be quite a rare coin. finding myself a little confused about grading them, so my question is, should i get it proffesionaly graded (is this expensive) or would it make more sense to attempt to grade it myself? and to be really cheeky maybe some of you guys could offer your opinion? :-)

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

Fine or so - slightly better on the reverse - this is normal

A coin in similar condition to yours sold for £1,700 at London Coins Auction last September.

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=1850+Shilling&searchtype=1

Edit: agree with Copper123 above on the grading. Only worth having it professionally graded and slabbed if you want to try to sell in the USA. Paying a membership fee and then a grading fee for just one coin probably isn't worth it.

Edited by jaggy

Bit more than i thought, coin of the uk got it listed for £700 in fine...might possbly tempt me to send of for auction..thanks for the opinion on grading both of you. Just out of intrest though, how much would it cost to slab? any company.

I agree that it's Fine (or slightly better).  What a nice thing to re-find!

30 minutes ago, georgie said:

Bit more than i thought, coin of the uk got it listed for £700 in fine...might possbly tempt me to send of for auction..thanks for the opinion on grading both of you. Just out of intrest though, how much would it cost to slab? any company.

Somewhere around £100 -  £125 by the time membership, fee and postage are taken into account.

If you can find a private buyer at around  £1300 -  £1400 that might be a better deal than sending to auction. There is always risk at auction. You might get more but you also could get less. And then there is the auction commission and other costs which will eat around 20% - 25% of what you get.

What the auction prices give you is a ballpark figure to start from. 

I doubt il be able to find a private buyer, and id definatly never sell it on ebay, ok to sell stuff for £20-£30, but heard so many horror stories concerning paypal, i think Auction would be safest and easiest thing to do, read london coins terms they only charge 10%, unless theres hidden fees.

11 minutes ago, georgie said:

I doubt il be able to find a private buyer, and id definatly never sell it on ebay, ok to sell stuff for £20-£30, but heard so many horror stories concerning paypal, i think Auction would be safest and easiest thing to do, read london coins terms they only charge 10%, unless theres hidden fees.

I have never sold coins at auction so don't know. There are probably others on here better able to advise you in that direction.

I find it strange you never remembered the coin in all these years even back in the sixties-seventies it was considered quite rare and was hardly a schoolboy collectors coin .

Anyway congrats on the coin and I am sure if you sell it will pay for a  nice holiday at least

Edited by copper123

To be honest, the internet wasnt around then, so never got the chance to check if it was rare or not, and collecting them was never money, date or rareity motivated, i was a child and they were either gifts, finds or swaps at school. so although i knew the date at the time, the significants of it was wasted on me, i only probably only ever owned bout 30 coins max, even at the height of my intrest, i remember i did have a two pence piece (modern) with a blank back, thatsthe only one that sticks in my mind, and unfortunatly is not in the tin, i probably swapped it for a star wars figure...lol..

prob this one lol

darth.JPG

• Like 1

do update us on what happens to the coin

yeah, thanks, will do,  sent an email with pictures of coin to London Coins a couple of days ago to see if they will accept it for auction in March, still waiting for reply.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, georgie said:

yeah, thanks, will do,  sent an email with pictures of coin to London Coins a couple of days ago to see if they will accept it for auction in March, still waiting for reply.

If you are local to Birmingham they will be at the Midland this weekend, or if in Yorkshire at York Racecourse on the 20-21st of this month. You could drop it off at either place.

Crikey...York so soon....I must get my act together to sort out the Friday (with hotel)

• Like 1

Guest HARVEY5013

Hi Georgie,

Just seen your post today (been very busy).

KEEP HOLD OF IT! - The value of old English silver coins has increased dramatically over the past 5 years and I see no reason why this will not continue.

If it helps; I still have one in my collection and have also sold one via Lockdales Auction house in Ipswich about 8 years ago which realised £950 on the day - now worth £1200 - £1500!!

Lockdales handled and sold a large collection of shillings for me and were extremely professional - i got more then i expected for them.

I was also offered just £250 by a well known London based coin dealer (which shocked me - I politely declined and walked away) so do your homework and get references if possible - do not accept anything under £1000 is my personal advise.

Hope this helps

Kind regards Dave

Georgie was last seen in Ibiza last summer throwing a few shapes.

It looks suspicious to me. That extra bit of metal joining the leaf to the edge at 2-3 o'clock on the reverse is present on the fakes, isn't it? :huh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

It looks suspicious to me. That extra bit of metal joining the leaf to the edge at 2-3 o'clock on the reverse is present on the fakes, isn't it? :huh:

Yes - it is the same fake style that someone was selling on Ebay a couple of weeks ago - he had half a dozen all with different tones, but all the same identifier feature. £8.75 each BIN. (His address was given as a hotel in Mayfair, but his name and Ebay ID was Chinese...)

• Like 1

I wonder if he sold it way back then. More's the point I wonder who got mugged off with it lol:rolleyes:

Edited by zookeeperz

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

I wonder if he sold it way back then. More's the point I wonder who got mugged off with it lol:rolleyes:

If he did i hope nobody from here bought it after pming him..🤤 

That's one bad egg to have in the nest. 

28 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Note also the matching shapes of the I and A of Victoria on Georgie's coin and the copies currently being sold on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1850-Victoria-Shilling-copy/152911792039?hash=item239a40c7a7:g:HSwAAOSwNOJasVZN

yes defo a fake. I posted this on Ebays worse when I first saw them as I was gobsmacked how good they were. If we hadn't seen them all together in one sale I think he had 6 coins originally Many of those would of gone to unsuspecting buyers. At least we know now the characteristics of the fake coins. the thing that is of great concern the guy who posted about his 1850 shilling posted a year ago so how many are in collections?  I think some announcement by  an authority like the press is in order considering the value of this particular date?

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

The guy who posted though even used the ebay pitch......

" recently moved house and rediscovered a tin of old coins i have had since year dot "

Really hyped it up :D

:angry: