British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jack Smart

Mis-Struck Henry III penny help

Recently I purchased this Henry III penny which had been double struck on both sides with an observe and reverse on each side.

Not being very experienced with mis-strikes, I was hoping to get some general information on them. Is one from this time-period common?

I've also been trying to decipher the mint and moneyer, and have had quite a lot of trouble due to overlay. I have determined the moneyer is Nicolas (NICOLE), but cannot work out the mint, as there were multiple Nicolas' from different mints. 

Lastly, if anyone else has any hammered mis-strikes, I would love it if you posted a picture here!

Cheers :)

Optimized-IMG_0486 (4).JPG

Edited by Jack Smart

It's class 5; so will either be London or Canterbury 

I reckon Nicole of Kings Lynn or York. (no S after OLE)

Struggling with the mint because both sides read OLE, but then only one side has O whilst the other has C, but both have VS REX III with nothing clear for the mint signature

Very interesting coin...however this got through the monyers quality control is remarkable as punishments were severe. 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all the help, really appreciate it! One of the sides was quite blurry, so I took new pictures. Here they are. Thanks again!

IMG_0584.JPG

Looks to be a Canterbury. Have highlighted the curves which aren't part of the S in hENRICVS having inverted the colours.

1zd2eq1.png

Edited by HistoricCoinage

Guest John

Hello jack did you have any luck with this as I found one the same 

1 hour ago, Guest John said:

Hello jack did you have any luck with this as I found one the same 

Best I could conclude was Canterbury. Have any pictures you could post?

Hi

I don't know if this qualifies but I recently came across this which seems to be some kind of mis strike.

I'd appreciate any comments 

Rick

IMG_20170519_143943.jpg

IMG_20170519_143845.jpg

It looks to be a brockage if the reverse detail is incuse (but I can't tell from the picture) and a normal obverse strike on the top image. The line of 5 pellets corresponding to the crown is at the bottom and REX is at the top, so the image is upside down.

On 12/31/2016 at 10:48 AM, Charlie said:

It's class 5; so will either be London or Canterbury 

or Bury St Edmunds