British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SRSNUM

1855 England 1/2 penny

Found this coin and would find any information about it useful.  See digital images below.  Last two numerals of the date are of most interest.

Thanks.

SRS

GREATBRITAINHALFPENNY1855OBVDATE BLOWUP.jpg

GREATBRITAINHALFPENNY1855OBVREDUCED SIZE.jpg

GREATBRITAINHALFPENNY1855REVREDUCEDSIZE.jpg

Interesting. The last two do also look like an overstrike of sorts has occurred, but over what, I don't know.

I don't think it's a year flagged up for halfpenny overstrikes. 

Possibly a smaller font 7 on the bottom of the last pile, but struggling with the third numbers.

The last 5 surely has to be over a 7?

I think there's also some shadowing due to the light striking the figures at an angle, which is slightly distracting. 

As above, the fourth figure could well be over a 7, but the third is a mystery.  

Could the first 5 not be over a partial 3. Can't seem to attribute any other numeral.

32 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

Could the first 5 not be over a partial 3. Can't seem to attribute any other numeral.

Possibly, although judging by the appearance, it would be the wrong way round. 

Or is it an 8?

• Like 1

The last digit looks very similar to the 5/4 found on 1850 farthings which are commonly called 5/7. I would suggest that this could also be a 4.

The third digit is a bit unusual, the curves do not appear correct for an 8 even if inverted, they seem to be more similar to a 6 or 9, but then I am not overly familiar with the digit styles on halfpennies.

Below, find a description of the coin at hand as I see it in person.

1.  THE FIRST '5' APPEARS TO BE REPUNCHED OR RE-ENGRAVED OVER ANOTHER '5'.  THERE APPEARS TO BE A TINY RAISED LINE @ THE LOWER RIGHT OF THE LOWER LOOP OF THE '8'.

2.  THE LAST '5' APPEARS TO BE REPUNCHED OVER A ZERO? OR PERHAPS ANOTHER NUMBER (4,7,8,9?) AS THERE ARE REMNANTS IN THE FORM OF RAISED LINES INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE LOOP.  THE LOOP OF LAST '5' IS ALSO SOMEWHAT MIS-SHAPEN WHEN COMPARED WITH FIRST '5'. 

3.  THERE IS A LARGE SPACE BETWEEN THE 'BALL OF THE LOOP AND THE UPRIGHT OF THE LAST '5'. THE RESULT IS A SMALLER UPRIGHT OF THE LAST '5' ABOUT  1/2 THE SIZE OF THE 'NORMAL'  FIRST '5'.  THIS ALSO RESULTS IN THE LOOP OF THE LAST '5' BEING DIS-CONNECTED FROM THE UPRIGHT AS THERE IS A SPACE BETWEEN THE END OF THE LOOP AND THE UPRIGHT. 

4.  AS OPPOSED TO THE ABOVE, THERE IS A SMALL SPACE BETWEEN THE BALL OF THE LOOP AND THE UPRIGHT IN THE “NORMAL” FIRST '5'.

Do members have this variety in their collections or recall seeing this variety or similar varieties of this type for the 1855 1/2 penny?

Any additional comments much appreciated.

SRS