British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

Best Wishes

49 minutes ago, jaggy said:

A white Christmas here in Arizona. A very merry Christmas to all.

w6u0Bv.jpg

Didn't think you'd get snow in Arizona

1 minute ago, azda said:

Didn't think you'd get snow in Arizona

We live at 4300 feet and we usually get a couple of snow falls every year.

Just now, jaggy said:

We live at 4300 feet and we usually get a couple of snow falls every year.

Be that's a hell of a view

1 minute ago, azda said:

Be that's a hell of a view

That is our back yard!

Our house backs onto national forest.

New Year soon. Let's hope there will be fewer celebrity deaths in 2017, than this year. Truly bizarre. 

We are looking at a period when popular culture propelled many more 'celebrities' into the public eye than existed previously. The 60's saw a huge rise in popular culture combined with greater spending power to follow bands and buy their records. Large festivals made their appearance too towards the end of the decade. All these people are now at the age when they are dying off, but their fame is ensured by the baby boomer generation who had so much disposable compared to before or afterwards. Those that died very young such as George Michael are essentially outlying data points. The majority are statistically right where you would expect to find them.

I think next year will see similar numbers to this year because most of the celebs are still there.

I see your point, Rob. But whilst natural attrition of those well known celebrities now in their 60's and 70's, is to be expected, it would be more normal to anticipate these over a longer term, and to crop up from time to time. What marks 2016 out from the rest, is the sheer volume of deaths concentrated into a very short period, timewise.

Of course, 2016, like any other year, is essentially an artificial construct. So logically, you wouldn't necessarily see a sudden decline in deaths the moment 2017 starts.       

Happy new year to you all! May 2017 bring lots of coins to our collections!

Bit late to the party but happy holidays everyone! Hope you're not all too hungover ;) 

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Bit late to the party but happy holidays everyone! Hope you're not all too hungover ;) 

Good to see you back Matt .   Did you see my post in Confirmed Unlisted Varieties on the 29th , I would welcome your thoughts on it .    Terry 

24 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Good to see you back Matt .   Did you see my post in Confirmed Unlisted Varieties on the 29th , I would welcome your thoughts on it .    Terry 

Thanks Terry, I'll have a look now.