British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Can never understand why some people are so pathologically terrified of them. They've got infinitely more to fear from any person, than we have from them. A 3 year old child could kill one with ease.

Anyone who wants the wasps nest in my porch at the moment is welcome to it - I have really had no trouble from them but I am now waiting for them all to die so I can spray the darn thing so they will not come back next year.

For gods sake I cannot think of a usefull thing that wasps ever do at least spiders keep flies down

By the way I have found a few dead and dieing ones aroung the last week or so does anyone know when it will be safe to spray the nest with insect / wasp repellant ?

I had a really wonderfull view of the sunset from my bedroom of my new home last night  and there were dozens of bats out feeding  , lovely to see

Edited by copper123

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Anyone who wants the wasps nest in my porch at the moment is welcome to it - I have really had no trouble from them but I am now waiting for them all to die so I can spray the darn thing so they will not come back next year.

For gods sake I cannot think of a usefull thing that wasps ever do at least spiders keep flies down

By the way I have found a few dead and dieing ones aroung the last week or so does anyone know when it will be safe to spray the nest with insect / wasp repellant ?

I had a really wonderfull view of the sunset from my bedroom of my new home last night  and there were dozens of bats out feeding  , lovely to see

I had a wasp's nest in a gap in my old fascia boards a few years ago. To be completely safe, I waited until the first frost in November, then sealed the entrance.

When you say they are in your porch, in what way? Hole in the brick, or woodwork? Do you have a pic? Might be able to suggest solutions.  

Well they are behind the woodwork and have got in  above the front door , and now are there for good , I really dont want to kill them now , they might as well live uout the rest of their lives untoched  if I spray them without any PPI I really am asking for trouble on a ladder with 500 angry wasps , I might as well commit hari kari.

Thanks for surgestions

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Well they are behind the woodwork and have got in  above the front door , and now are there for good , I really dont want to kill them now , they might as well live uout the rest of their lives untoched  if I spray them without any PPI I really am asking for trouble on a ladder with 500 angry wasps , I might as well commit hari kari.

Thanks for surgestions

Napalm.

It's the only way.

• Haha 1

Two years ago we had a wasps' nest where the hedgehog resided. Didn't seem to worry them.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rob said:

Two years ago we had a wasps' nest where the hedgehog resided. Didn't seem to worry them.

My attitude as well , if you leave em alone they will not touch you

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

One bit of advice while you have the wasps , DO NOT BUY ANY COINS AT HOME , as you might get stung

Buyer bee-ware?

• Haha 3

Wasp U talkin' about U beeing very silly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

One bit of advice while you have the wasps , DO NOT BUY ANY COINS AT HOME , as you might get stung

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Buyer bee-ware?

34 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Wasp U talkin' about U beeing very silly

Just beehave all of you, or you'll stir up a hornet's nest. 

• Haha 2

Christmas in Queensland. delonix regia in bloom otherwise known as Poinciana  which is a native of Madagascar .

IMG_20191207_122631.jpg

• Like 3

Wow-wow- wow......

how annoying- I've tried to grow them here, but wherever you overwinter them, it's always just too damp and they give up...!

I feel the same today....

Poincianas   are tricky things to grow. My advice is to keep them dry in the winter., You could also try soaking the seed in hot water for 24 hours  prior to sowing as this aids germination. They also like plenty of sun. I can send you some seeds if it is legal to import this material as they are everywhere on the ground around here. I don't think it will grow to the same size in the UK. However it would make a very nice pot plant.

When I was in the UK some time ago I visited the Horniman Museum at Forest Hill where they were selling  Poinciana seed pods at GBP 1.00 each I am not sure they Were aware what they were selling

Edited by ozjohn

Cool ! I think it's ok to send those.

I've tried Caesalpinia Pulcherrima but the same story.

It's the dry light overwintering that's the problem.

I have a Caesalpinia Gilliessii outside in a border, and amazingly it's done three winters so far.

All I do is cover it up, leaving a clear bag at the top so light gets to the shoots.

It hasn't flowered yet.

I live in hope,  with it having a bigger root run- all the info I can find from places like Florida is that it won't flower in a pot....

I've never managed jacaranda flowers either, but they only flower on last year's growth, so the damn things have to be bigger than a greenhouse, and the fact that they make a right mess doesn't help.

Got a new camera, has a few bells and whistles on it, but it's no point and shoot and was getting pretty frustrated with the results that have been produced so far, until this morning. Youtube guides are quite helpful, but if you buy a bridge camera I suggest a little photography course if you have the time.

Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 11.34.02.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's not bad, the moon is easy to overexpose. Took me a couple of nights to get it down before a blood moon eclipse.

moon.jpg

Just did a little editing of the above photo on googles pixlr. I took the original at about 7:45am this morning and it was getting light

02DC87BC-F117-4BD9-A00F-23476483E424.png

• Like 5

Spring. :)

DSCF4260(s).jpg

• Like 2

Ophrys kotschyi

DSCF4586s.jpg

looks like a little bishop welcoming his flock.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, azda said:

Just did a little editing of the above photo on googles pixlr. I took the original at about 7:45am this morning and it was getting light

Did you use a telescope  or a telephoto lens on your camera?  In the past I have attached a digital camera to my X - Y  4" tracking telescope. and taken multiple

photos of the object in question. As the X-Y tracking causes blurring of the picture there are SW packages (their name escapes  me) that aligns the multiple images

and building them up into a composite picture. They also contain all of the normal image processing, brightness, contrast, noise reduction, sharpening etc.

A very nice picture of the moon.

41 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

looks like a little bishop welcoming his flock.

It does a bit. :) 

I'd not long posted the photo when I looked at the latest activity page and saw:

image.png.1033cd968d0312075f25a5e2b50b97c1.png

I'm thinking "sh*t no, I haven't got anything fancy like that..."  :D

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, azda said:

I know I should have gone to Specsavers, but what type of coin is this :huh:

20 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Ophrys kotschyi

DSCF4586s.jpg

An orchid in my court yard. It was one brought from Costco which I attached to a small tree when it had finished flowering. If you keep them in pots they tend to die from over watering.

DSC02117.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 12:09 AM, ozjohn said:

Did you use a telescope  or a telephoto lens on your camera?  In the past I have attached a digital camera to my X - Y  4" tracking telescope. and taken multiple

photos of the object in question. As the X-Y tracking causes blurring of the picture there are SW packages (their name escapes  me) that aligns the multiple images

and building them up into a composite picture. They also contain all of the normal image processing, brightness, contrast, noise reduction, sharpening etc.

A very nice picture of the moon.

That’s called stacking where you take multiples of the same picture at the same settings then stack them in Lightroom or starry landscape stacked and theoretically it brings out better detail. Images should be taken in RAW format. I took my picture with the Sony DSC RX10 M3, it’s has a 600mm zoom lens.

• Like 1