British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:56 PM, HistoricCoinage said:

Spent NYE in Iceland. A breathtaking winter getaway. Managed to sneak a Viking coin hoard into the agenda, too.

mcs0vs.jpg

C1cDWJPW8AAFfw6.jpg

I celebrated  NYE in Iceland tree years ago. I still considered that Iceland is the best place to celebrate New Year. All people on the street were so friendly and the atmosphere so nice. Talking about their famous fireworks, it was amazing too (there is a ban for a fireworks during the year in Iceland, so people put all of them during one night). 

• Like 1

Just had a new kitchen - eye wateringly expensive process, and exceedingly inconvenient while it's going on. But the end product well worth it. Pictures from the first day, when all the fitments were ripped out, to leave a gutted shell, to the first signs of a new kitchen, to the finished article. Washing machine now behind a door under the sink.

Taking into account the cost of fitting, the eventual price ran into 5 figures, and my kitchen's only a small box !      

kitchen 1.jpg

new kitchen 2.jpg

kitchen 3.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

kitchen 4.jpg

kitchen 6.jpg

Its one of those Mike.

When its being done "What a ballache"....although in the past i have moved out and just left the keys.

When its finished "Glad we did it"

Problem is...... if like mine the wife will want another room done now :P

• Like 1

Just about to get my bathroom converted to a wet room. Hoping it's neither eye-wateringly expensive, nor a lengthy process.

Anyway, nice kitchen.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peckris said:

Just about to get my bathroom converted to a wet room. Hoping it's neither eye-wateringly expensive, nor a lengthy process.

Anyway, nice kitchen.

Cheers Peck. I was initially torn. On the one hand I really wanted a new kitchen as my existing one looked bloody awful. On the other, I saw it as an expensive and inconvenient operation. But a visit to a colleague's house, where the kitchen was smart and immaculate, kind of embarrassed me into action. There was no way I could, without shame, have returned the invitation.   

Now it's finished, I'm very pleased I got it done. 

Good luck with your bathroom conversion to a wet room. Bathrooms aren't as expensive, as a rule.   

• Like 1

Don't shout too loud chaps. I've had it pointed out that I could have bought more than the odd kitchen in the past few years.

6 hours ago, Rob said:

Don't shout too loud chaps. I've had it pointed out that I could have bought more than the odd kitchen in the past few years.

Better keep it quiet then...........;):ph34r:

Edited by 1949threepence

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, PWA 1967 said:

Its one of those Mike.

When its being done "What a ballache"....although in the past i have moved out and just left the keys.

When its finished "Glad we did it"

Problem is...... if like mine the wife will want another room done now :P

Women, you can't live with them and you can't live with them......

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

Mine says the opposite. Can't live like this with you, can't live like this with you.........

Never seem to notice problems like this building up. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box on the emotion front, so someone else will have to accommodate this.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2017 at 6:09 PM, Peckris said:

Anyway, nice kitchen.

Great idea on the wet room.I helped my Mother with hers and with the addition of a waterproof radio and a plastic garden chair in the shower you can't keep her out of it.

• Like 1

Thats a quality idea Peter as we had one done here in the flat as i couldnt fit in the bath ;) .

So a waterproof chair and radio sounds spot on :D

On 7/22/2017 at 11:31 AM, argentumandcoins said:

Very, very true. 

On 22/07/2017 at 3:43 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Thats a quality idea Peter as we had one done here in the flat as i couldnt fit in the bath ;) .

So a waterproof chair and radio sounds spot on :D

I also laid some non slip bath mats.Jobs a goodun.

I visited Belgium recently and was very pleased to see one of the 14 surviving copies of the 36-line Gutenberg Bible in the Museum Plantin Moretus. Printed in 1461. I was amazed by the quality of the printing and the print is still jet black today. The colours had to be added on by hand. 

1 - Copy.JPG2 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Is that one of the bibles that was on TV the other day that a dealer had taken apart and sold individual pages?.

I didnt even realise they printed books that long ago :blink:

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Is that one of the bibles that was on TV the other day that a dealer had taken apart and sold individual pages?.

I didnt even realise they printed books that long ago :blink:

According to Wikipedia "Fourteen complete or nearly complete copies are known, all on paper, plus many fragments and single leaves from vellum copies, which have survived because they were used in the bindings of later books". I think it would be totally unthinkable for anyone wanting to break up a complete version now.

Sotheby's sold a leaf of the 36-line bible for $112K in 2016. 

The 42-line Gutenberg bible was the first major book in Europe printed using movable type 1455. The 36-line bible was printed ca 1458. The movable type was invented in China no later than the 11 century. 

I havent got a clue which bible it was but was only on last week the dealer did it around 1900 and the single page was about £90K if i remember correctly.

It was on the Pawn Stars programme last Tuesday.

I know the programme is all set up for TV but the History i would assume is correct.

May of been the same as the Spink one as there cant be many books at around £100K a page. :)

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes. :P

I had a short break in the Netherlands and been to The Hague on a day trip. The entries for the "World Sand Sculpting Championship" were on open display. 

1 (1) - Copy.JPG

Winner of the World Championship 2018!

1 (2) - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

Some photos from Malta. The St John's Co-Cathedral.

1593209033_1(1)-Copy.JPG.7f483d02268d072ff5911f164aa76991.JPG263641835_1(2)-Copy.JPG.a9297a1c4a5e571e50ab67e5ab220ea5.JPG

• Like 2

The Rotunda of Mosta. Note the damage to the dome where a bomb dropped through during WWII. The bomb did not explode thankfully. A replica of the bomb is shown inside the church.

2108515431_1(3)-Copy.JPG.4932231fffd7b328d6442764e400664a.JPG

1932880623_1(4)-Copy.JPG.0f50349581e8376ddc7bf109fba32468.JPG

• Like 2

post deleted

Edited by 1949threepence