British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Frosting on Proof Decimal Coins.

I have a query about frosting on proof coins. Does anyone know when it officially started being used in the UK Decimal Proof sets.
Not sure if this has been asked before but doing a little extra research and it will help.

Thanks all

Edited by bhx7

Much less tendency to tone on the frosted ones, I notice. Not sure why that is. 

Peculiarly I have found some frosted proofs as early as 1975. 

I have two 1975 proof pennies 1 has the reverse frosted the other is not. The half penny from the first set is also frosted on the reverse.

Edited by bhx7

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I thought the same as you Rob.

I thought 1980 because I have never seen a 1979 frosted proof. Also, the reverse is less easily seen to be frosted whereas the bust is a nice big expanse of relief detail, so maybe the reverses were frosted and the obverses not before this time.

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Peculiarly I have found some frosted proofs as early as 1975. 

I have two 1975 proof pennies 1 has the reverse frosted the other is not. The half penny from the first set is also frosted on the reverse.

Interesting. I've got all the sets from 1970 to 1990, and on mine the frosting starts on both sides from 1980. Prior to that there is no frosting on either side. But of course, that's only my sets. There may well have been some frosting of earlier specimens as well.    

I have rechecked all my other sets and it is only the 1975 reverse penny and half penny which are definitely frosted. But my other set is the normal high gloss 70's proof reverse. 

Would be interested to see if other members have the same in their set.

Edited by bhx7

Stop it Brian, my decimal collection was pretty much complete until you started all these shenanigans <_<

But seriously, great work but I have a lot of varieties to find now.

Ian..

• Like 1

Didn't want to say Ian but found a few more B)

Frosted is where they have used an acid etch to the surface of the design to enable the design to stand out against the mirror like ground. The normal is just all glass like. I will try and take some photos and see if I can capture the differences. 

Cheers

Brian

14 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Not having a clue about them.

What is the difference please in frosted or not ?.

The difference being that with frosted, all those parts of the coin other than the field, have a sort of perfect matt finish. 

• Like 1

Here's a reasonable close up of one - the 1985 proof set 20p - which shows the effect of frosting relief against the mirror like field. It's only a rough one, as I found it really difficult to avoid glare through the casing. Hopefully Brian can do better than me.

proof decimal 1985.jpg

• Like 1

I have had the same problems as I am shooting through the plastic. Here is a photo of the frosted proof penny in my 1975 set. Also note the "1" and its width toward the border beads.

1975 penny with frosted reverse.jpg

Edited by bhx7
  • Like 1

Here is the second proof 1975 penny. You will see why I said about the "1" here.

1975 penny with standard reverse.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a close up of the "1" and also some of the portcullis

**The photos do not do either coin justice. Both are proof with no toning and mint state. Just not good at catching proofs, especially not the standard 1970's proof finish!!!!

1975 penny with 1 detail.jpg

Edited by bhx7

Quite a few differences there. The rims on the right look thicker. The beads on the right look smaller, but that might be an optical illusion. The left hand side of the 1 is in better agreement on the two reverses in relation to the border bead and central vertical of the portcullis than the right hand side of the 1 which appears to be aligned with the right hand side of the central portcullis vertical on the second coin, but nearly in the middle of the gap on the first coin. The position of the border beads to the design detail is different.

Is there a difference in the number of beads? If you drop a vertical from the outside of the terminal ring, the relative position and possibly number count vary by a midge's.

Is the right hand side a filled die given the somewhat uneven surfaces?

• Like 1

Dave G makes a note of the different ones and serifs in his book but don't think he had anything about frosting or bead count.
I have done a quick count and you are right there are more beads on the standard type (Grooms reverse B ) , 110 in total. The first one which I have found frosted  (Grooms reverse C) has 109. Here is a pic of the 2 straight on.

1975 Proof Penny variants copy.jpg

Edited by bhx7

I also have both types of proof penny for 1973 and 1977 and only type b for 1974 and type c for 1976 all of which are just the high gloss proof. The next I find with any Frosted finish is the 1980 set which shows frosted finishing on both sides of all the coins.

Edited by bhx7

For what it's worth, and it's nowhere near the quality of Brian's, here is a pic of my 1975 reverse, for comparative purposes. Unfortunately it's quite toned and is actually the worst affected of my1975 coin set. The "1" is obviously more akin to Brian's No 110 above.

proof 1975 penny rev.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1