British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Decimal Pennies - Variants and errors

I thought I would start a new topic as I have been posting quite a bit across the boards on Errors and Variants of the modern Decimal Penny.
I started to put together a concise set of pennies a few months ago as an add on to my pre-decimal penny colection. I also took inspiration from Dave G's decimal penny survey done back in 2013 and have used that as a starting point. I have found quite a considerable number of new varieties and also some nice anomalies.

This first post is one such anomaly. I have found two 2007 pennies both with a filled link in the portcullis chain. The two also have identical die cracks coming of the P, E and first N of PENNY. I know that i once read a post were Rob was able to calculate the amount of effected coins that could have possibly come from a defective die. Would love to know if it is possible to do the same with modern decimal pennies. Anyway here are a few pictures. Coin A shows the errors the least and the pictures dont show the errors as well as a Magnifying glass. Coin B shows the die cracks and fill much clearer

2007 Pennies with same filled chain link and die cracks.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a picture of both coins

2007 Chain link filled pennies with die cracks online.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic job and hat off to you Brian you have a lot more patience than me and a good eye.

Pete.

• Like 2

been looking at the new ones, not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but the JC on the 2015 seems to be slightly smaller then the 2016.

might be nothing, but if there is a crossover...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scott said:

been looking at the new ones, not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but the JC on the 2015 seems to be slightly smaller then the 2016.

Will have a look at that. 

On 12/20/2016 at 6:04 PM, bhx7 said:

I thought I would start a new topic as I have been posting quite a bit across the boards on Errors and Variants of the modern Decimal Penny.
I started to put together a concise set of pennies a few months ago as an add on to my pre-decimal penny colection. I also took inspiration from Dave G's decimal penny survey done back in 2013 and have used that as a starting point. I have found quite a considerable number of new varieties and also some nice anomalies.

This first post is one such anomaly. I have found two 2007 pennies both with a filled link in the portcullis chain. The two also have identical die cracks coming of the P, E and first N of PENNY. I know that i once read a post were Rob was able to calculate the amount of effected coins that could have possibly come from a defective die. Would love to know if it is possible to do the same with modern decimal pennies. Anyway here are a few pictures. Coin A shows the errors the least and the pictures dont show the errors as well as a Magnifying glass. Coin B shows the die cracks and fill much clearer

2007 Pennies with same filled chain link and die cracks.jpg

HAT OFF BRIAN .

Nice to see your hard work going to print ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Pete. Also got a plug in for the forum. Have found a considerable amount more since. Will put up my findings on full once I have compiled it correctly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhx7 said:

Thanks Pete. Also got a plug in for the forum. Have found a considerable amount more since. Will put up my findings on full once I have compiled it correctly. 

You should do article two :)

Great work Brian, and great to see it in print.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian. :rolleyes:

On 31/12/2016 at 2:06 AM, scott said:

Hi Scott

I have had the chance to look through £6 worth of 2015 & 2016 pennies. There is s definite change in the J.C, the 2016 I can vissably make out as J.C the 2015 is just that to small to be 100% on without a loop. I haven't managed to find any crossover as yet, that isn't saying one still may not turn up. I have done a close up of the 2 designs at the same magnification.

Cheers

Brian

2015-16 Decimal Penny Obverse design change.jpg

Edited by bhx7

This is my first post so I apologise if it doesn't read well, or is not suitable for the thread but I thought I'd offer some of my own finds from checking loose change.

I have also found three separate oddities; with the 2012 Two Pence (die flaw), the 2012 Penny (die flaw), and the 2014 Penny (weak strike Obverse). All seem to be fairly uncommon (I have found two examples of the 2014 penny in 244 pennies, and 2 examples of the Two Pence error, although they appear different, the die flaw is in the same area of the coin).

2014 Weak Strike Obverse Penny

On the obverse, the strike for the Queen's head appears to be noticeably weak (see images below - comparison photo provided).

Normal Strike:

IMG_3547.JPG

Weak Strike:

IMG_3548.JPG

2012 Die Flaw Lion's Tail Two Pence

The 2012 Two Pence (die flaw) I have only found one other example online (eBay). Please see images below:

eBay find:

2012 mint error.jpg

My Find:

IMG_3546.JPG

2012 Die Flaw D.G Penny

There is a clear die flaw between the top of the Queen's head and the D in D.G.

IMG_3544.JPG

Thanks

Dan

Edited by MartinD738

Hi . Welcome to the forum Martin,  The first coin could as you say be a weak strike , but it could also be the result of a worn die , which would result in a loss of detail .  The second coin looks to be a die crack, this is uncommon on modern coins, but was very common on early Victorian coins , Improved quality of the dies , resulting from the better types of steel now used in the manufacture of the dies.    Terry

David Groom's book shows that there are three, perhaps four reverses for the 1971 Business Strike Two New Pence. Do these also apply to Proof examples?  If so, I think the attached is the Reverse C (Two additional incuse lines to the top of the left hand plume) but can anyone confirm what, I think I'm seeing,  that there are also two vertical incuse lines down the right hand side of the quill he mentions, or are these light reflection?  Cliff

1971 additional plume lines (2).jpg

1971 additonal plume lines.jpg

1971 additonal plume lines.jpg

1971 Indistinct incuse triangle.jpg

1971 lines on quill.jpg