British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rick2020

1889 penny with C in Victoria not looking right

When I look at this 1889 penny the C in VICTORIA just doesnt look right(to me at least). The CT relationship especially. Is the C angle a bit off?

Or am I seeing things?

Regards to all

1889 penny C.jpg

You certainly like this polish seller, but the C looks normal to me

6 hours ago, Rick2020 said:

When I look at this 1889 penny the C in VICTORIA just doesnt look right(to me at least). The CT relationship especially. Is the C angle a bit off?

Or am I seeing things?

Regards to all

1889 penny C.jpg

Hmmm - the top of the C does look a little squashed up towards the T. Have checked my 1889's and they look more regular.

Maybe an optical illusion.

Edited by 1949threepence

Here's one of my 1889's. I was hoping to get them both on, but the saved image only shows the one fully.

penny 1889 C.jpg

Here's the other one, slightly shaded to emphasise the lettering, and turned to one side.

Having compared them with yours, I have to conclude that your example is not quite as it should be. The letter spacing definitely looks different.

penny 1889 D.jpg

Thanks. That looks normal, plus all the 1889's have the same reverse (N)

16 hours ago, Rick2020 said:

how do you think I should describe it?Squashed or rotated C?...

Your call, but if you are planning to sell, don't forget to acknowledge and thank the buyer. Courtesy goes a long way, if you get my drift ;)  

I have just had a look at my own both 14 & 15 leaves and numerous pictures of others.

IMO for what its worth i just think it is normal :)