British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rick2020

1860 Overstruck E in PENNY? or wishfull thinking...

Could someone tell me if this is an overstrike on the letter E in the word PENNY?

Or is it wishful thinking......

thanx in advance

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f1%5fAO14xAo

The image doesn't work - looks like you've tried to link to an email attachment.

From the picture could it not be a flaw or possibly a crack that appears to run to the rim ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

From the picture could it not be a flaw or possibly a crack that appears to run to the rim ?.

Exactly what it is, die crack running perfectly through the E

Agree with the others, definitely a die flaw, Rick. Very common in buns, especially the older ones.

If it were an overstrike, it wouldn't run up to and cross the linear circle.

On 12/18/2016 at 5:33 AM, Rick2020 said:

oopppssss

I did something wrong.

Here is the pic

1860 penny E.jpg

I have an example just like yours..

It's  a die crack..

Does this type of die crack give this coin any extra value or does it do the opposite and make it a curiosity with little value?

It is just a natural progression in the life of the die. i.e quite normal.

I am not sure if this is relevant but in terms of the E being recut in the 1860 . It appears to occur in many specimens particular type which i have tried to show has the smaller E the base is the old curly lettering and the P and the N and N together with many smaller letters overprinted on the obverse.  It seems to be linked with these old smaller letters rather than a shift in the legend during minting as the bases are often lower or higher and show no movement on the tops.  

CM180513-220419001 (277x400).jpg

CM180513-220540003 (359x400).jpg

CM180513-220913006 (400x351).jpg

CM180513-220939008 (243x400).jpg

here are some of the obverse letterings on these 1860s...oh it won't let me load the multiple obverse errors ...in fact every letter is a smaller curly base under the larger lettering I have always thought it pretty special 

Looks like the coin has possibly been double struck or even more between the P and E  it looks very much like the trident prong tips just sitting below the linear circle? also strange that you mention smaller lettering I was going to say the date looks like it has been struck over a smaller date. possibly an 8 inside the 0 and a smaller 6 under the 6?

Edited by zookeeperz

Yes I have found a few where the smaller date exists under the larger ones