British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all, just looking at this rather nice GVF - EF George ii Halfcrown and the only thing that's holding me back from purchasing is a metal 'fleck' on the obverse. Basically I've never heard of this kind of defect before and I am just wondering that, as a relatively new and inexperienced collector, should I go ahead and purchase or steer clear and stick to buying the best condition coins that I can afford? The defect is reflected in the price but I've bought coins with defects before and regretted it. 

Thanks,

C44 

1745limagvfnef275.jpg

I think only you can be the judge of that.  The coin has lots of eye appeal (in my opinion) but will always have the metal fleck on it.  Apart from that, it's lovely.  Assuming that the metal fleck is in the very centre of the obverse, I agree with the dealer's description that it doesn't detract, certainly from the visual appeal, but perhaps you can only fully judge when you have the coin in hand.  

Fortunately the dealer in question offers no-quibble returns, so it will only cost you the postage if you decided to purchase it and then return it.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree with Stuntman, the grade seems ok, don't know the price, eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder. You get flecking in early milled silver of this period (due to metal composition) but not normally just in one place. Check with the dealer/seller that you are buying 'on approval', i.e. you need to see it in hand and will return for full no quibble refund if you are not happy, and that they are happy with that.

For me, I just want a decent LIMA George II halfcrown, not both a 1745 (with the U instead of V in GEORGIUS, which I'm guessing was in error), and a 1746, just the one - this is my best so far - 

1746_hc_lima_02_06_cgs_70_uin_39477_2400

a few years ago these could be bought in a high grade for a fraction of what they go for now, wish I collected seriously 10-30 years ago! But there we are, still fantastic examples are available of many coins at good prices if you do your research and show patience ;)

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

That's a fantastic example Paulus, id be chuffed with that! Still trying to decide on it, I agree the dealer in question is one of the best I've ever dealt with in terms of quality  and correspondence, I'm trying to collect everything from early milled to 1919 - I have wound down on the hammered for the time being , just love the early milled to William IV, for some reason Victorian coinage doesn't interest me as much, probobally because the variety of her coinage is so overwhelming ?

Thanks

C44

Edited by Conor44

An EF or EF+ Lima halfcrown is something I want to buy at some point. I totally agree with Paulus and Stuntman that only you can decide on its eye appeal. It is nicely toned and that certainly helps.

I personally have got a bad habit of always focusing on the worst parts of a coin and so I would avoid coins with defects. Consequently I can only afford to buy very infrequently...

46 minutes ago, Conor44 said:

That's a fantastic example Paulus, id be chuffed with that! Still trying to decide on it, I agree the dealer in question is one of the best I've ever dealt with in terms of quality  and correspondence, I'm trying to collect everything from early milled to 1919 - I have wound down on the hammered for the time being , just love the early milled to William IV, for some reason Victorian coinage doesn't interest me as much, probobally because the variety of her coinage is so overwhelming ?

Thanks

C44

Conor, would you be prepared to share who the dealer is, sounds like someone to consider adding to my list if not there already?

Conor...shame about the defect.Personally I couldn't live with it but we all have different guidelines.Some of the stuff that sells on Ebay I just don't understand.I did buy a holed 1787 recently but it looks great on my keyring.

7 hours ago, Paulus said:

Conor, would you be prepared to share who the dealer is, sounds like someone to consider adding to my list if not there already?

Its a dealer you use Paul ;)

Spill the beans Pete.

2 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Its a dealer you use Paul ;)

This is like a game of charades LOL

2 words

Cheshire area...

20 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Second clue.

I have spent a good few quid with them :D

Got it! :)

A quick look at a few dozen listings showed every one to be either over 3 or 5. Bearing in mind the prolific Lima output, it is probable that relatively few 1745 halfcrowns were struck. Dies were reused wherever possible making the 5/3 almost inevitable. The 5/5 just means that the digit was punched in at least twice and not in the same place. The question to be asked is whether a cleanly punched 5 exists with a roses reverse given what I have seen.