British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi all,

Would appreciate a few experienced opinions on this rather nice 1731 sixpence before I purchase (grade etc) , described as AEF but ive been caught out before with over graded coins. Sorry this is my second post with almost exactly the same wording just a different coin, this is the last one I promise :)

Thanks in advance,

C44

28487229013_b28dabc43f_o.jpg

28819145090_945c713170_m.jpg

upload pic

Edited by Conor44

Having compared it with my own example of a 1731 sixpence, I would say it is VF to GVF.

I would wait for a better example especially  if this is priced at AEF money. 

How difficult is it to find coins of that time without impurities in the flan?

I'd say NVF/VF. Also a lot of ding marks on the obverse.

I wouldn't buy it if priced at AEF money. 

That is a great question. I think clean examples are tough. It's just that this example has hay marking that is severe that adds to factors to consider with grading and even more importantly impacts eye appeal

I echo some of the opinions above. I would try and find better grade/eye appeal, and if plumping for this one would definitely not pay aEF money for it

Thanks all, 'dodged a bullet' as it were LOL

Edited by Conor44

Nice clean example. This is the 2nd bust which is perhaps worth 50% more than the 1st bust ceteris pariba. I'd go "approaching GVF" for grade.

about GVF.

Sixpence is about VF, Shilling is GVF in my opinion.  A very nice example.  I'd avoid the sixpence but would be very tempted by the shilling if the price seemed fair.

Can I ask who the dealer is?  I promise that I won't buy it.  PM me if easier?