British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

what I got for £3 in brum today G what a bargain

I've had an 1844 1/4d  soaking in olive oil/verdicare for ages....now where did I put it?....just lucky I have a few more:)

THanks you lot - this might be a labour of love - I hope the end result will be worth it

Any unwanted 1844 farthings with verdigris or not will be welcome at my address:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Any unwanted 1844 farthings with verdigris or not will be welcome at my address:D

I've got one I don't want which I am prepared to offload - for a fee. :)

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 1:00 PM, jelida said:

It is expensive, and I find it very helpful, but not all do;  the repeated 'picking' at the surface of the verd is an essential part of the process, as per the instructions, as is time. Do get a good magnifier so that you can be very precise. 

Jerry

funny enough just got a new one off ebay the other day

new pic upper g is now clear- just acetone used

1874obv.jpg

Thats a good start would just use a gentle pick with some vaseline in a tiny amount now on the green bits :)

Even a gentle bit of persuasion with vaseline and a lint free cloth and then a quick dip in distilled water and a tiny amount of extra virgin olive oil.

Hat off ;)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Verdi care arived today , so have been trying it out on the coin - maybe I should have tried a lower value coin first , but  was itching to try the stuff out

As you can see from above picture  coin is looking better all the time

Underneath the crud is a nice example...keep working on it.Nothing too drastic in one go.Water softened wooden cocktail sticks will be your friend together with a supply of cotton buds.

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

Underneath the crud is a nice example...keep working on it.Nothing too drastic in one go.Water softened wooden cocktail sticks will be your friend together with a supply of cotton buds.

yes peter - the obverse is far better than i realised at first , it even looks to be aproaching nvf grade , with less gunk on it every time it worked on

The reverse is what lets it down , there again the g's over are on the obverse aint they

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I agree with Peter, keep at it, as slowly, softly, and gently as you can manage! :)

On 03/01/2017 at 9:33 PM, Paulus said:

I agree with Peter, keep at it, as slowly, softly, and gently as you can manage! :)

Coin has had 5 or six treatments now and is looking a lot better  - I will post pics of the obverse and reverse on in early feb so you lot can see the change in the coin

Edited by copper123

I feel I have gone as far as I can with cleaning the obverse and am pretty happy with it now -I will put on a pic of the reverse in a week or two I still feel it needs a bit more work

1874obv.jpg

• Like 2

Looks a whole lot better. :)

• Like 1

Is there any chance of having a side by side before and after picture on the same post. I am scrolling up and down and my brain is not as fast as it used to be.

thanks

Ian

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 10:03 AM, copper123 said:

Coin has had 5 or six treatments now and is looking a lot better  - I will post pics of the obverse and reverse on in early feb so you lot can see the change in the coin

It is a lot better Hat Off .

A tiny amount of either extra virgin olive oil OR vaseline and will look BU ;)

• Like 1

this is now looking a bit like an ad for verdicare .lol

19 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Here you go Ian

Wow, I am impressed. That is a significant improvement. Do you think that the Verdicare has raised the grading of the coin?

4 minutes ago, IanB said:

Wow, I am impressed. That is a significant improvement. Do you think that the Verdicare has raised the grading of the coin?

The picture on the left has had work done Ian.

Its not the before one i dont think :)

Edited by PWA 1967

Just now, IanB said:

How can you improve the grade when grade is a function of wear?

Ancients suffer from a lot of filled and tooled examples to give an improvement in grade, but that is because there is a prospect of someone paying seriously big bucks. Thankfully, building up pitted and corroded modern coppers and bronzes don't appear to have comparable adherents.

Sorry Rob but I have no idea what your comments mean?

i was just asking if the process had possibly raised the grading of the coin.

Edited by IanB

Eye appeal has certainly been raised.When I get a tray of coins out to dribble on whilst imbibing Abbot Ale and scoffing on Bacon and egg rolls.No one wants to see a spanked arse.The 2 G's over IMO is now a beauty. Yeh good advert for verdicare.My best results have been with shite in legends....good stuff. Mr Perkins get your exclusive order in for the stuff.

1 hour ago, IanB said:

Sorry Rob but I have no idea what your comments mean?

i was just asking if the process had possibly raised the grading of the coin.

Grade is proportionally related to the wear on a coin. It has nothing to do with eye appeal, which is a subjective matter. Coins can look to be low grade, yet merely be weakly struck. The improvement will be in eye appeal, i.e. it looks more attractive, but you can't reinstate metal lost through friction in the past.

Grade can never be improved - what can improve a coin is eye appeal :D

This is a coin with eye appeal now

Edited by copper123