British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

what I got for £3 in brum today G what a bargain

It needs a clean sum heavy encrustation on there but well worth £3

1874h.jpg

• Like 2

Got a pic of the reverse, copper?

That is fantastic, sideways G in REG, well done! Presumably in G of D:G too.

Jerry

Edited by jelida

The question is, what will the value be when cleaned? Clearly more than £3, but ultimately dependant on how well it is done. As it stands, it's horrible.

What is the Reverse like?

worse yes - this might take some time this cleaning project - any surgestions out there ? tried the usual acetone

I  imagine the sarcastic ones might be "spend more money on a decent coin " LOL

A soak in olive oil wouldn't hurt. 

5 minutes ago, copper123 said:

worse yes - this might take some time this cleaning project - any surgestions out there ? tried the usual acetone

I  imagine the sarcastic ones might be "spend more money on a decent coin " LOL

I'm sarcastic and I have one surgestion, but it's not "spend more money on a decent coin" ;) 

Definitely can't grumble at that price!! Well done

will try the olive oil first - any surgestions on how long for?

Just now, copper123 said:

will try the olive oil first - any surgestions on how long for?

From what I've read, about the rest of your life should be a good start. :wacko:

Virgin or extra virgin?

Unfortunately acetone will have no effect on inorganic salts such as verdigris. And I wouldnt be in a rush to turn to the olive oil either (though as a mild organic acid it may be helpful if all else fails). I would initially de-grease the coin of those waxy handling deposits by scrubbing fairly aggressively in petrol using something like a small paint brush cut short. It shouldnt abrade the patina, or alter the colour. Then wash in acetone. What you will be left with is the stubborn verdigris, and here I do like verdicare, though it takes time as the verd has to be manually 'picked' at periodically. I use a 20 to 40 X binocular microscope, which helps a lot. I would have thought that this coin could be 'saved'.

The bottom line is that you might have to strip the coin using a weak acid, and re-tone it. There may well be some minor pitting if the verd has removed much metal.

Jerry

• Like 1

At least 4 weeks in olive oil, changing the oil after 2 weeks I would say.  That should get rid of a decent amount of the verd on the reverse.  Can't do much, if any, harm in my opinion.

• Like 1

TYVM you lot I will hopefully put the coin on later - after treatment - like you lot said most anything you can do will improve the coin

Look forward to seeing the results - I reckon that's a great little find. :)

Great find, but whatever is done to it, will never be any great shakes, condition wise.  

Often the case with rare finds, unfortunately.

I strongly suspect that the gunk on the coin has ment it's gone undetected  over all these years , even the dealer missed it .

It is in fact probably one of the great rarities of the bronze farthing series - its much rarer than the 1860 mule , and on a par with peck 530 - thats why it goes for silly money in any grade , I am sure only 50-100 exist and most are in well established collections .

Try Verdicare.It won't make it worse.

ta peter you are about the best on advice here so verdicare it will be

Please keep us updated of how it comes along. :)

verdicare  ordered today - expensive stuff expensive postage - I hope its worth it !

18 minutes ago, copper123 said:

verdicare  ordered today - expensive stuff expensive postage - I hope its worth it !

It is expensive, and I find it very helpful, but not all do;  the repeated 'picking' at the surface of the verd is an essential part of the process, as per the instructions, as is time. Do get a good magnifier so that you can be very precise. 

Jerry

• Like 1