British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Susan

Does anyone recognise this coin.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and also a newbie so far as coins go. I've been lucky enough to inherit some. I've found quite a lot of information and pictures online but there are several coins I can't find

so I thought maybe someone here could help me. I'll post a few photos and hope for the best. This is a gold coin, tiny and the wording on the front ends with Rex. The back is George and the dragon and we could not find a match with the front and the back. Thanks very much.

Susan

Eduard%20V11%20Coronation%201902%20back%

EdwardV11coronation1902sizecomparison_zp

Eduard%20V11%20Coronation%201902%20front

I apologize for the last pics. quality.

Edited by Susan

Without pictures nobody can say what you have

Hello Rob,

I had a slight problem adding the images.

Thanks for your reply

Susan

Keep them under 500k and it should work

I can see the moment images.

2 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I can see the moment images.

That's because the post was edited 6 mins ago ;) - to add them

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Thank you, will do.

Are you able to to see the 3 images i posted?

Susan

Hello bhx7,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am sorry but I dont understand what you mean by "the moment images"

Susan

Don't worry. The internet is full of literary garbage.

The pictures are there. It appears to be very small, possibly toy money? Anything visible on it such as C, L or Lauer or anything else to indicate who made it?

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

It's a fantasy piece. Brass?

Hello Rob,

It honestly does not look like brass.

We do have quite a lot of Gold coins, sovereigns and half sovereigns within the collection we inherited and the coin looks exactly like 1 of those coins but a lot smaller.

Susan

The problem is the Royal Mint didn't issue anything that small, so if it is gold (which should be obvious from the weight relative to its size), it would be a private issue and only likely to be worth bullion.

Hello Rob,

Regarding the possibility of maybe being toy or play/Gambling money, I thought the same thing to start with.

The front is like the Shilling or the half crown but the back doesnt match and it is Gold and not silver.

We are puzzled..

Susan

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

The problem is the Royal Mint didn't issue anything that small, so if it is gold (which should be obvious from the weight relative to its size), it would be a private issue and only likely to be worth bullion.

Hello Rob,

We thought similiar, and apart from the 13 piece set which does not contain a gold coin that small, I wasnt able to find anything on the net.

I am very sorry for the silly question but what do you mean by worth a bullion?

Thanks a lot for your time and assistance..

Susan

Edited by Susan

What is the weight, diameter and thickness?

• Like 1

Bullion value is based on the spot price of the precious metal content, i.e. its intrinsic value.

e.g. a sovereign contains 0.2354 troy ounces of gold, so the current (variable) spot price for an ounce of gold multplied by 0.2354 will give you the value of gold in the coin.

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

The diameter is 14mm, thickness 1 mm, weight is less than 1 gramm according to my kitchen scales. My accurate fine scales I won't have access too till tomorrow.

Susan

That confirms it isn't gold if the numbers are remotely accurate. If it was gold it would be nearly 3 grams.

If it was brass, then depending on the mix it would likely be 40-45% of 3 grams. That's still 1.3grams ish.

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Here is a size comparison, the coin in the middle is a Peruana Libra 1/5 de Libra Coin. The one we are puzzled about is the same size and same weight.

coins_zpsydlchpav.jpg

Susan

Edited by Susan

Based on what you gave as the dimensions - 14mm diameter and 1mm thick, that has a volume of 3.1428 x 7 x 7 x 1 cubic mm. i.e 154mm3 ish. Density of gold is 19.3g/cmso with 1000 mm3 in a cubic centimetre (10 x 10 x 10), 0.154 x 19.3g will be the weight if in gold. It works out at just under 3g, which is close enough given your measurements are not exact.

If the one next to it looks to be the same dimensions and weight, then that won't be gold either.

Maybe it is a private gold issue - I can't say without having it in hand, but if so it is unlikely to be worth any premium to melt value. If it was 0.5 mm thick then we might be getting closer to the possibility of it being gold.

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

I think you're right, this coin is thinner than 1 mm. The edge is slightly less than 1 mm and the middle is not so thick as the edge.

Susan

I don't know if anyone else is familiar with private issues, but it certainly isn't a Royal Mint product. The design is too coarse and has all the attributes of a modern strike. We aren't going to resolve it tonight.

• Like 1

Hello Rob,

Very true, it's half way through the night here. Thanks very much for your help, maybe someone else has an idea as well. We'll wait and see. We wish you a good night and thanks again.

Susan

Hi Susan,

What's the significance of the 1950 West German 10 pfennig coin you have included in your photos? 

For reference, here's one listed on e bay