British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus, nice matte 3d there. For some reason, I never got one & also have a sneaking suspicion that they are just a bit harder to come by than might be recognised.

6 hours ago, Rob said:

I'd give it better than EF based on the wear to the hair. The fingers are a red herring on these as the die became filled. You see as many with rounded (but not flattened) fingers as you do struck up ones.

That is very interesting. Would the different tonality exhibited by this one's fingers suggest wear rather than a filled die?

Don't know without seeing in hand, but the amount of toning removed at the high points such as the right hand and knee doesn't indicate much wear, if any. The obvious loss of metal due to friction is best seen on the hair and ear.

The high points for the reverse are perm any three from fingers, helmet, knee or right hand. Or if the rim is high then one of these once it has worn down.

Edited by Rob

I didnt check but am really suprised as to the cgs grade :o

Strict grading ;)

Edited by PWA 1967

I think he was referring to another specimen.

I am OK to an extent with the halfpenny's softer strike through trident hand but am not OK with going gEF or better because of appearance of metal both at that hand and also the shoulder, arm, helm and thigh, and especially the King's hair  that to me demonstrates slight wear taking it to EF, even with residual lustre.