British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
SRSNUM

1862/186 british farthing & thanks

Many thanks to all the members who gave their assessments and insights of the 1860 farthing I submitted for attribution.  I now understand fully how to recognize the "real" item should I come across one in the future.  As a follow-up (if it not too much trouble), please find in the attachments digital images of an 1862 farthing in my collection.

I perceive it to be an 1862 over 186 variety.  I have not in my limited look at links on the internet been able to find this specific variety.  Any insights or comments about the variety would be much appreciated.

Again, in order to facilitate a full attribution, an attempt to further describe the item can be found below:

The obverse appears to be sharply struck and to have full cartwheel effect boiling up from under virtually fully brown surfaces.  Only the slightest hint of red may be found in the protected areas of the inscription.  Evidence of Die clashing is evident at the right end of the Queen's dress extending upwards through the ribbon, continuing upwards through the bun at the back of the head and terminating below the 'R' in "BRITT".  Additional clashing is noted as a raised line beginning at a point midway between the Queen's chin and neck, descending at a shallow angle to the left, then, curving downward steeply as two parallel lines before terminating above the bust.  No digs, nicks, bumps or major scratches are noted.  Detractions include light scattered hairlines on the face and at various places in the field--none very detracting.  There are several small areas of encrustation to be noted--a small patch in front of the chin, 4 tiny spots at the back of the neck and two small irregular patches--one at the outer loop of the ribbon and one slightly below that and to the right.

The reverse is a uniform brown patina without evidence of mint red but with full cartwheel effect.  It appears to be clashed above Britanniar's lap, at Brittaniar's right hand and upwards to right elbow.  There appear to be light scattered flan flaws in the upper field.  The date appears with obvious "doubled" '6' with the separation extending down to the top of the loop.  The '8' also appears doubled--the first '8' seems upright, the second '8' tilted slightly CW.  The result, an extra curved line at the right in the upper loop and two extended loops-one at lower right and the second at upper left.  The first '1' appears to be upright with the second above the first and entered slightly CW.

I do not have further submissions at this time but hope to help other members attribute items in the future.

Thanks again and with best regards to all,

Steve Schor 

greatbritfarthing1862186over186obversereduced size.jpg

greatbritfarthing1862186over186reversereduced size.jpg

greatbritfarthing1862186over186reversedatecloseup.jpg

All four digits have been entered twice. Considering the size of the characters, it is remarkable that there is not more double cutting seen. The 6 is a little strange as it appears to have been made using two different punches, there not being any apparently rotated loop at the bottom corresponding to the divergent arm at the top.

Thank you Rob for your response and analysis. It is much appreciated.

SRS

While interesting this sort of variety is neither sort after or particularly valueable , they can easy be picked up for the price of a regular coin 

Here in Florida, these varieties are virtually ignored and as you say, no value is placed on them.  Thanks copper123 for your comments!:)