British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi can any one help me I am new to collecting coins but I do have quite a few among my most recent finds is a gold coloured coin or token 

I can not make out the wording and can not see a date on one side is a outer rim with a inner circle that has a shield on the other side is a outer rim with like a four circled clover with a cross in the centre.

if any one can help I can email you a picture I only use a tablet so not sure if I'm able to post a picture on this forum 

thanks Steve 

Hi Steve and welcome.

We'll need pictures ideally, but I'll pm you my email and put one up for you. You should still be able to post directly from your tablet, however if the picture is over 500kb it will be a pain reducing the size if you're not a computer.

Yes when I try to post a pic it's over 500kb I have had this on other forum sites so it's easier to get help from others I have sent you the pics Matt so hope you can help identify it.

i do have three boxes of coins I need to go through so will need your help at a later date I'm sure 

thanks again 

Steve 

If it's any help, the coin pictures I have taken on my tablet (2013, Nexus 7) and then uploaded to here, have not been oversized.  

Hi mike thanks for the info I have had a look at the pictures I have but don't seem to have the option to resize the pics to post them I have another old coin though I have just found in one of the boxes i can not make out the date to well.

the date looks like 1570 but I don't think it's that old it's about a farthing size but thicker has Britania around the edge and what looks like Britania holding a staff in left arm and right arm holding out a lantern and the other side I can make out Rex but it's worn so the bust looks like an old women but I'm sure it's not :-) the coin has a thick edge 

thanks 

steve 

Hi Steve

If it says 'REX' it has to be a king, so it cannot be 1570 or 1870, just wondering if it loooks something like thsi?

1770_fa.jpg

So if Steve's coin is the one you picture, Paul, and dated 1770, it's the bust of a young man, rather than an old woman.  

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

So if Steve's coin is the one you picture, Paul, and dated 1770, it's the bust of a young man, rather than an old woman.  

Indeed, just trying to get to the bottom of it, it can't be 1570 and REX, and the stylised 7 can look like a 5? Let's see what he says ...

Hi thanks for the replies the coin does look like yours Paul but mine is quite worn I can email you a picture mig you like I had taken a picture no fit on my phone ans zoomed on the date it does look like a five and the bust don't look like your man the angle of the head is different and the neck is thinner but has I say it's worn so it could be the same my coin has a more defined  outer rim though when I was looking on the net to find it I came across a coin like yours and more or less said yes that was it and it may be so if you would like me to send you a picture that's no problem at all 

thanks 

Steve. 

I have had a look through the box of coins that I have to see if I can find another in better condition Netherlands only one I have is just a little bit bigger 1754 Georgivs 11 Rex but the bust is facing to the left the other coin the bust is to the right and the other coin is abit thicker with a stronger rim it definitely has Rex on it.

thanks 

Steve 

Ha think iv found it George 1 penny well it looks the same ? Looking on baldwins site it's a dump 

issue halfpenny what ever that is ? 

Edited by Stephen ward

There were only dump issue farthings and 1/2d's minted between 1717-24.Dump refers to the dumpy appearance of the flan.There are many varieties.If you have a low grade coin it will be worth diddly.

Thanks Peter that explains it then it's not a good coin but not bad but I don't collect coins to make money on them just about all the coins I have a old bloke passed away and left them to me along with his 2000 plus collection of Dinky corgi matchbox and other model cars not only in the original boxes but still in the shops bag when he brought them.

nothing is in order so I thought I would make a start on the coins to try and make some sort of log what they are 

thanks again Steve 

Edited by Stephen ward

"Dump " issue coppers were only made in 1717 and 1718 none after that , most minted were halfpennies

Thanks I'm sure I will be asking more has time goes on I was looking through the boxes earlier some are so worn I can not make out anything some are foreign  so that's just has bad but I will put together some sort of log I have found a good condition 1770 King George half penny and a nice 1896 one African shilling that looks different 

thanks steve 

1770 george III halfpennies are scarcer than you might thing looking a price catalogues , its a date worth having 

Ok well I best keep it safe I may have a number of coins I should check up on but its knowing where to look up to yet iv just been sticking different coins in search and seeing what turns up I have two silver one penny's one is 1947 the other 1929 not sure about them ? 

Thanks steve 

2 hours ago, Stephen ward said:

Ok well I best keep it safe I may have a number of coins I should check up on but its knowing where to look up to yet iv just been sticking different coins in search and seeing what turns up I have two silver one penny's one is 1947 the other 1929 not sure about them ? 

Thanks steve 

Maundy money perhaps?

On 18/11/2016 at 4:03 PM, Stephen ward said:

Yes when I try to post a pic it's over 500kb I have had this on other forum sites so it's easier to get help from others I have sent you the pics Matt so hope you can help identify it.

i do have three boxes of coins I need to go through so will need your help at a later date I'm sure 

thanks again 

Steve 

Hi Steve, so sorry, left work and haven't been near a computer all weekend.

Here is the coin in question..

Sin título.png

Great stuff thanks again for posting the pics not sure what this coin is or even if it is a coin ? It does have some weight to it so it's made out of something substantial  

thanks again 

Steve 

I think this is your coin, French Medieval

detmid769.jpg

Ye thanks sleepy that's it do you know anything about it so I can put it to bed in my log book.

thanks again 

Steve 

Well if it was gold I would say it was an Ecu, but that's about it.

Ok thanks I will look that up the coin is not magnetic that's all a can say at this point 

thanks Steve 

It's a French jeton c.1400, yours looks brass? my two examples of this type are copper.