British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Sword

Somme 1916 Poppy

I have decided to get a poppy lapel pin this year instead of wearing a paper one. (The paper version never survive long with me and I tend to be wearing just the stalk after half a day). The poppy shop has apparently been selling these rather special gold poppies since the summer

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/somme-1916-poppy-lapel-pin.html

It's made from brass from shell fuses recovered from the Somme battlefields. The red enamel contains earth also from Somme. Very thoughtful. All proceeds go to the Royal British Legion.

Luckily for me, mine arrived right on Remembrance Day. I think I will wear it for a week or two longer as  it is discrete enough on the lapel. Then I will probably use it again in future years and just make a donation each time.

• Like 2

Great to hear you've purchased one, Sword! I've been working with The Poppy Shop (official ecommerce site for RBL) for a little over a year now and I can't recommend their products or the good causes they support enough.

For those that haven't seen, the video on how they're made can be seen here: 

Edited by HistoricCoinage
  • Like 1

It's really great that you are working with the Poppy shop.

I  just had a look at your website, HC and to my pleasant surprise I think I know you rather well (unless I am mistaken). I don't want to give personal information on an open forum but will PM you. 

Edited by Sword