British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
PWA 1967

LCA December.

24 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Lot 1653:

The one thing that really stands out is that both coins are just about identical.  Exactly the same lumps and bumps, dings and scrapes.  LC should have noticed that, especially as the lots are consecutive.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:01 PM, secret santa said:

Can anyone see the 8 over a 6 in lot 1197 ? I can't.

Here it is close up - and no. Can't see it at all. 

Did anyone point it out to them (the half crowns)? :blink: 

What happened with the one you bought from Bucks Paul?

Edited by mrbadexample

19 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Did anyone point it out to them? :blink:

Not as far as I know.

Of course, it would be helpful if LCA would do a close up of the date, with overstrikes. But they never do.  

ETA: assuming you were referring to that, Jon, and not the previous post. Apologies if you were.  

Edited by 1949threepence

Just now, 1949threepence said:

Not as far as I know.

Of course, it would be helpful if LCA would do a close up of the date, with overstrikes. But they never do.  

ETA: assuming you were referring to that, Jon, and not the previous post. Apologies if you were.  

Nah, I meant the pair of identical, consecutive lot half crowns but your post got in the way. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I didn't, but I did flag them up as fake on here at the time.

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

What happened with the one you bought from Bucks Paul?

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I didn't, but I did flag them up as fake on here at the time.

Presumably as a result of Nick pointing out the fake when I posted my new acquisition pics (thanks again Nick, I hope I thanked you at the time as well!), I contacted Chris Taylor (Buckscoins on eBay) - he had bought it at LCA - and he apologised, said it was 'embarassing' and immediately refunded me. He was taking it up with LCA of course.

27 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Presumably as a result of Nick pointing out the fake when I posted my new acquisition pics (thanks again Nick, I hope I thanked you at the time as well!)

I don't recall, but I'm sure you did. :)

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Presumably as a result of Nick pointing out the fake when I posted my new acquisition pics (thanks again Nick, I hope I thanked you at the time as well!), I contacted Chris Taylor (Buckscoins on eBay) - he had bought it at LCA - and he apologised, said it was 'embarassing' and immediately refunded me. He was taking it up with LCA of course.

Ok, at least they didn't mess you about. :) Wonder how he got on with LCA? 

That is all really interesting. I suppose that LCA refunded without objection. Keep all receipts!

I assume however that this must happen very very rarely.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:13 PM, Leo said:

That is all really interesting. I suppose that LCA refunded without objection. Keep all receipts!

I assume however that this must happen very very rarely.

They'd refund immediately I assume. The moment word gets around that they don't refund fakes is the moment they lose credibility and a lot of business. 

37 minutes ago, Mynki said:

They'd refund immediately I assume. The moment word gets around that they don't refund fakes is the moment they lose credibility and a lot of business. 

Indeed. I'd be amazed if they didn't. As you say, word would soon get around the numismatic community if they refused, and their credibility would be badly affected. Not only that the coin passed muster for selling in the first place, but also that they wouldn't admit to it/agree to a refund, when the item was discovered as a fake.    

anyone planning on viewing any LCA lots in person and is willing to do me a massive and get alternative pictures of a couple lots while you are there? (if it is possible mind you)

I will forever be in your debt :D

LCA seem reluctant to reply to any communication

13 hours ago, rpeddie said:

anyone planning on viewing any LCA lots in person and is willing to do me a massive and get alternative pictures of a couple lots while you are there? (if it is possible mind you)

I will forever be in your debt :D

LCA seem reluctant to reply to any communication

I don't think they'll allow you to take pictures, the last place i viewed coins at stated pictures were strictly forbidden

On 4/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Does anyone know what price the 1861 proof sold for please ?.

Not yet Pete, no. Leastways I don't.

Incidentally, to clear the unwanted quote, do Control + H, and either find the last entry for LCA December, and "clear browsing data" for that entry, or clear browsing data for the lot. But you may lose some auto remembered passwords if you clear the lot.    

Pete ... did you mean the 1860 proof?

Did anyone here attend the sale?

I didn't place any bids this time but LCA always publish results on their website the day after the auction.

25 minutes ago, Coppers said:

Yes Mark my fault,although i did not bid on it wondered what it went for :)

The auction this time continues tomorrow Sword so dont expect the results online till tuesday.

And not to be boring but was wondering what the 1839 currency half crown went for??

9 hours ago, Coppers said:

I cant remember exactly, but two telephone bidders took it to about three and a half grand. 

Jerry