British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Greaves

Victorian Florins - Roman Numeral Dates

I have two silver Victorian florins - one dated 1875 mdccclxxb and one from 1856 mdccclbi. I understand the b is equivalent to a v. I would be grateful if anyone can tell me if these are variants, with most coins with these dates using a v and if so do they have any rarity value? The former is in fair condition, the latter is very poor. Thanks.

They are gothic font v's, not b's, but with the ornate script, the large serifs on the font, and with flattening caused by wear they can look a bit like b's to the untrained eye.

There are no variants of these two dates apart from various die numbers - tiny little numbers - below Victorias's bust on the 1875 piece, and so no additional rarity values.  Have a trawl of eBay and you'll see exactly what I mean about the font style and the v's getting flattened to look like b's.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hope it helps...

I now attach close ups of the b in brit and the v in 1858. You can see a subtle difference in the font with a little cross-piece on the genuine b which is lacking in the v.

Hope that helps!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks Martinminerva for your two very interesting and informative replies and for taking the trouble to upload the pictures. I    was not expecting anything significant here given I found nothing mentioned on London Coins and other sources. However I have learned something and that itself has value. Mike

• Like 1